public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?
@ 2003-09-24 10:40 Saravanan
From: Saravanan @ 2003-09-24 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygnus GDB

Hi All,

     I was reading the GDB manual and realized that
  there is,practically, no tracepoint support provided
  by GDB since this support is available only for
  remote targets and for the latter , GDB doesn't provide any
  stub (like gdbserver) which has tracepoint support. I
  have a few doubts in mind regarding this :

  1. Why does GDB not provide this support for local
  host ?

  2. Is it not the case that the features (supposed to
  be) provided by tracepoints can be done using
  breakpoint features only (for instance , we can
  specify COMMANDS for  a breakpoint just as we can
  specify ACTIONS for tracepoints) ?

  3. Does tracepoint use the same TRAP (or ILLEGAL )
  instruction mechanism for tracepoints as it does for
  breakpoints? if not, what does it do?

  4. Does this trace support available in any other GDB
     supported by other vendors?

Regards,
Saravanan

* Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?
@ 2003-09-28 22:50 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-09-28 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: gdb

Eli Zaretskii writes:
eli> In other words, I'd be happier if a larger portion of GDB maintenance
eli> resources were to go into more platform-independent features.

I want to address this issue.

GDB development is not like a project chart where there are resources
and then the manager assigns the resources.  GDB development is more
like an ecosystem, where a bunch of animals come into the environment
and interact with each other.

You can control directly the maintainer resources that you contribute.
If someone is listed as a maintainer you can ask them to perform the
functions of their maintainership (review your patches).  You can nag
people, or inspire people, to do things that you think are important.
But we don't take orders from a centralized leader.

eli> Are you saying that there's no way we could set up practical goals for
eli> GDB development?  I'd be surprised if you actually meant that, but
eli> that's how it sounds.

In my humble view, that's right: there is no way "we" can set up
practical goals for GDB development.  I can set up goals for my
contributions, and I do.  For instance, my goals include:

  run the test suite regularly
  publish exhaustive analyses on the differences
  complain about gdb regressions from week to week
  file a PR for each gdb regression from the previous public release
  make the responsible developers aware of those PR's
  file a PR for each gcc regression in gcc debug info
    # I think I'm actually the primary guy who tests gcc debug info!
  respond to user questions on gdb@ and bug-gdb@
  respond to user bug reports in gnats
  maintain testsuite/gdb.cp
  contribute to the overall testsuite
  write doco that i think the users need

I self-generated these goals.  I'm open to input on them, but basically,
you would have a hard time convincing me to change my overall philosophy
from my vision (QA) to your vision (user-level features).  I suspect
the same is true for most gdb contributors.

Michael C

* Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?
@ 2003-09-29 13:21 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-09-29 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: gdb

Hi Eli,

eli> If the leaders state specific goals, and do that convincingly, the
eli> other contributors will most probably follow suit.  At least that's
eli> my experience.

Well, in that regard, I think that this thread will be better if
it waits a week or two after gdb 6.0 is released.

eli> I hope you will agree that a program exists to provide user-level
eli> features, not to satisfy QA.  QA is a means; I hope there's ends to
eli> which the means exists.

Sure.  QA is a means.

However, my opinion is that "more QA" is a critical factor for
improving the gdb user experience.

If you look at the mailing lists and gnats database, there's a lot
more requests that fall under "expand scope of existing stuff"
and not much "this feature would be nice".  For example, many C++
programmers would like "break Foo::Foo" to work.

Michael C