public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?
@ 2003-10-22 23:02 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-10-22 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what the "hms" target talks to but I'm
not getting very far.  According to the info file it talks to

  "A Hitachi SH, H8/300, or H8/500 board, attached via serial
   line to your host."

One presumes that's overly general, and there actually has to
be some specific chunk of SW running as a ROM monitor on the
board.  What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be
talking to?

 1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI"
    embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is
    the same thing).  Will gdb talk to that?  (I'm guessing
    not.)

 2) If not, can one still get a monitor to which the hms target
    will talk?

 3) Is one better off just burning GDB stubs into flash?

 4) Or maybe RedBoot (which contains gdb stubs)?

The eval board I'm particularly interested in is US3068EDK1
containing (you guessed it) an H8/3068 uController.

[off to the eCos/RedBoot web site...]

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?
@ 2003-10-23 18:41 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2003-10-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: gdb

Grant Edwards wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to figure out what the "hms" target talks to but I'm
>not getting very far.  According to the info file it talks to
>
>  "A Hitachi SH, H8/300, or H8/500 board, attached via serial
>   line to your host."
>
>One presumes that's overly general, and there actually has to
>be some specific chunk of SW running as a ROM monitor on the
>board.  What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be
>talking to?

It's looking for a human-friendly monitor; "r" for registers, "g" to
execute, etc; basically GDB acts as a fast typist. HMS is a couple
generations back, so it's unlikely that the current monitor is
sufficiently compatible.

> 1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI"
>    embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is
>    the same thing).  Will gdb talk to that?  (I'm guessing
>    not.)

At least one person (found via Google) claims that the protocol is
similar to GDB's remote protocol, so maybe "target remote" or
"target extended-remote" will work.

> 2) If not, can one still get a monitor to which the hms target
>    will talk?
>
> 3) Is one better off just burning GDB stubs into flash?
>
> 4) Or maybe RedBoot (which contains gdb stubs)?

Apparently HDI source is not available, which means you can't fix target
problems that come up; I'd recommend replacing with your own stubs.

Stan

* Re: What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?
@ 2003-10-23 18:54   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-10-23 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:41:30AM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:

>>What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be talking to?
>
> It's looking for a human-friendly monitor; "r" for registers, "g" to
> execute, etc; basically GDB acts as a fast typist. HMS is a couple
> generations back, so it's unlikely that the current monitor is
> sufficiently compatible.

I certainly get the impression it isn't, but I haven't found
it in writing yet.

> >1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI"
> >   embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is
> >   the same thing).  Will gdb talk to that?  (I'm guessing
> >   not.)
>
> At least one person (found via Google) claims that the
> protocol is similar to GDB's remote protocol, so maybe "target
> remote" or "target extended-remote" will work.

When the board gets here, I'll give it a try, but I'm not
optimistic.

> Apparently HDI source is not available, which means you can't
> fix target problems that come up; I'd recommend replacing with
> your own stubs.

Yup. That's more-or-less the conclusion to which I had come.
Interestingly, the Windows-based debugger that comes with the
development board is comptatible with gcc object files.

Hitachi seems to have put some effort into supporting the gcc
toolchain -- to the point where they even provide a HOWTO web
page and a set of Gnupro tools. Both are somewhat out-of-date,
but you've got to give them credit for trying.

More current tools (and gdb-stubs) are availabe from
Kpit-Cummins at http://www.kpitgnutools.com/.  [Apparently no
relation to Cummins diesel.]

--
Grant Edwards