public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB Remote Debugging Problem
@ 2003-10-31  8:03 Kiran Chandrashekaran, Nair (IE10)
From: Kiran Chandrashekaran, Nair (IE10) @ 2003-10-31  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

I have a gdb stub,running on my target.
I am able to connect to the target through TCP and debug
my debug from the host.

My Problem is
1. I get a SIGTRAP received message for every function call,
   even if I am not stepping into the function or have not set a breakpoint
in
   the function.
   I get the SRC_AND_LOC message always,when ideally I should only the
  the SRC_LINE displayed.
  eg: When I step through a function foo() in function xyz() I get

      xyx () at xyz.c:78

2. Also when a breakpoint is hit ,The don't get the Breakpoint number
   displayed.
   I get the SRC_AND_LOC displayed,but no breakpoint info.

What could be the problem.
I am using gdb 6.0 configured for i386-elf on cygwin

Could anything be possibily wrong with my gdb stub,which is
derived from the basic gdb stub.

Thanks
Kiran

* Re: GDB Remote Debugging Problem
@ 2003-10-31 22:27 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2003-10-31 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiran Chandrashekaran, Nair (IE10); +Cc: gdb

That certainly doesn't sound like normal behavior.

But unless we can reproduce the problem ourselves, we can't do much
about it.  I suspect there's some problem with your stub.  When you
say "set debug remote 1", does it seem to be doing all the right things?

"Kiran Chandrashekaran, Nair (IE10)" <Kiran.Nair@honeywell.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a gdb stub,running on my target.
> I am able to connect to the target through TCP and debug
> my debug from the host.
>
> My Problem is
> 1. I get a SIGTRAP received message for every function call,
>    even if I am not stepping into the function or have not set a breakpoint
> in
>    the function.
>    I get the SRC_AND_LOC message always,when ideally I should only the
>   the SRC_LINE displayed.
>   eg: When I step through a function foo() in function xyz() I get
>
>       xyx () at xyz.c:78
>
> 2. Also when a breakpoint is hit ,The don't get the Breakpoint number
>    displayed.
>    I get the SRC_AND_LOC displayed,but no breakpoint info.
>
> What could be the problem.
> I am using gdb 6.0 configured for i386-elf on cygwin
>
> Could anything be possibily wrong with my gdb stub,which is
> derived from the basic gdb stub.
>
> Thanks
> Kiran

* regarding tracepoint support on a stub
@ 2003-11-03  6:24 ` ankit thukral
From: ankit thukral @ 2003-11-03  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

hi all,
      i was going through the GDB support for
tracepoints and the packets it sends to the stub.i
thought of collecting the registers on the gdbserver
side using a single ptrace to collect all the
registers and then store the ones requested instead of
a ptrace for each register. the problem i now face is
: there are 3 different ptrace requests for collecting
registers,viz,PTRACE_GETREGS, PTRACE_GETFPREGS and
PTRACE_GETFPAREGS.how do i determine (on the stub
side) which of these to call as i don't have anything
on the GDBSERVER side (or so i guess) which would
categorize a register to an integer or a float
register.
      also,please suggest if there is a better way in
which i can accomplish the above(i.e.,implementation
of collecting registers in a better way).

thanks in advance,
ankit.

* Re: regarding tracepoint support on a stub
@ 2003-11-03 19:21 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-11-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newman, Mark (N-Superior Technical Resource Inc); +Cc: ankit thukral, gdb

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 02:01:23PM -0500, Newman, Mark (N-Superior Technical Resource Inc) wrote:
> Would it be desireable to drop ptrace all together and start looking at
> using /proc in gdbserver?

/proc in Linux can not serve as a replacement for ptrace.  The
functionality is not there.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* RE: regarding tracepoint support on a stub
@ 2003-11-03 19:01 Newman, Mark (N-Superior Technical Resource Inc)
From: Newman, Mark (N-Superior Technical Resource Inc) @ 2003-11-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ankit thukral, gdb