public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* remote stubs - Gdb for PowerPC
@ 2004-09-14 14:55 Balaji Purushothaman
From: Balaji Purushothaman @ 2004-09-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

Does anyone has remote Stubs (GDB) for debugging the
PowerPC target.

Basically i need to debug the target through the
serial port from the SUN host machine. In the host
machine, i have a GDB debugger running.When the
debugger issues any commands, target(stubs) should
understand the GDB commands and respond properly.
Stubs along with the OS will be running in the target.
Basic functionality of GDB Stubs is Exception handling
,Debugging support and understand the GDB standard
protocol.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Balaji

http://vote.yahoo.com

* Re: remote stubs - Gdb for PowerPC
@ 2004-09-14 16:15 ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2004-09-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balaji Purushothaman; +Cc: gdb

I've been looking for one for a while.  The linux kernel has one . . and there is code in gdbserver for ppc, but no stub.

If you find one, please let me know . . . or if anyone is kind enough to port the gdbserver code to a gdbstub . . . My ppc assembly isn't good enough to try.

-Dave

--
David Frascone

Russian Express Card motto: Don't leave home!

* Re: remote stubs - Gdb for PowerPC
@ 2004-09-14 17:55 Michael D. Crawford
From: Michael D. Crawford @ 2004-09-14 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Apple has it's version of gdb enabled to do remote debugging of powerpc,
to allow one to debug the Mac OS X kernel from another OS X Mac.
However, it's done via ethernet.  Maybe you could take the serial port
code from some other stub and port it over to apple's stub.

I understand that the protocol apple uses isn't the standard gdb
protocol, but some custom one.  I don't think all of apple's changes
have been merged into the main gdb distribution.

I think the sources you need are available here:

http://cvs.opendarwin.org/index.cgi/gdb/?cvsroot=apple

I also found a tarball on apple's website a while back, but I don't
remember where it was.

Hope this helps,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/