public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>
To: Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch>
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: View registers from stack frames
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:08:49 +0200
Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch> wrote:

> >> The first two frames seem ok, only frame 3 and more are wrong.
> >> If more info is needed (e.g. the remote debug protocol) I can also
> >> post it here or send to anyone.
> >>
> >> Well, that only leaves me with the cvs version...
> >
> >Give the CVS version a try.  If that fails too, could you send me
> >a test case?
>
> The cvs version behaves as 6.2 or 6.2.1. I would love to send you a
> test case but I don't know how to. I'm working with an embedded
> target and some proprietary software. That's why I tried to create
> a memory dump and feed this to gdb so I have something I could
> send to someone else. But that didn't work out.
>
> Would it be helpful to have the debug log of the remote protocol
> communication? Like that you would see what addresses gdb
> probes and the read values. Or maybe a memory dump of the
> call stack of a thread?

Fabian and I communicated privately on this matter.  Fabian determined
that it was some custom stack bounds checking code in the prologue which
was causing problems with backtraces.  We still haven't figured out
why this bounds checking code didn't cause earlier versions of GDB
problems with its backtraces.

Kevin