public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@gnu.org>
To: mec.gnu@mindspring.com
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] HP-UX native support
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

   Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:04:08 -0400
   From: Michael Chastain <mec.gnu@mindspring.com>

   Some scraps of thought:

   In general, I'm okay with dropping support for follow-fork and
   other hpux-only features.

It's not unimaginable that I'll re-implement some of these features in
a more general way.  But I shouldn't make any promises about that.

   Most of the PR's for hp-ux are about build problems, rather than
   advanced features.  So if building gdb gets better or stays the
   same, that's okay.

My main motiviation for this is to scrap a lot of ugly
native-dependent code.  This simplification means that building GDB
can only get better.

   hpux 10.20 is obsolete and HP no longer supports it.
   However, many people still use it.

Yup.  At JIVE (www.jive.nl), we're still using 10.20 for "production".
Currently I'm working on our Correlator Control Software that runs on
the machine.

   gdb has to work on hpux 11.00 and hpux 11.11 as well.
   I can take care of testing those.

My current patches don't touch the code for 11.xx at all.  So there's
no real need to test those.  However, I'll probably attack 11.xx after
I'm finished with 10.20.

Mark