public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* How to manage multiple patches
@ 2004-12-08 21:25 Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2004-12-08 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm seeking the wisdom of the experienced free software developers.

When you have a patch in your sandbox waiting to be committed, what do
you do to keep working and not get scrambled?

I've been pondering various solutions whereby I keep a text diff and do
some clever combination of patching and reverting to get back to a state
where I can just cvs commit but it seems like it could be fairly error
prone.

Do people just keep multiple sandboxed?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Kris

* Re: How to manage multiple patches
@ 2004-12-08 21:30 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2004-12-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:27:56PM -0500, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> I'm seeking the wisdom of the experienced free software developers.
>
> When you have a patch in your sandbox waiting to be committed, what do
> you do to keep working and not get scrambled?
>
> I've been pondering various solutions whereby I keep a text diff and do
> some clever combination of patching and reverting to get back to a state
> where I can just cvs commit but it seems like it could be fairly error
> prone.
>
> Do people just keep multiple sandboxed?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Usually that's what I do.  Otherwise, take a look at "quilt" or
"patch-scripts".

Of course, every patch that you post or commit should be tested
independently, unless you say very clearly otherwise...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz