public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: unable to debug statically linked program with linux threads
@ 2005-03-18 23:53 Ajay Patel
From: Ajay Patel @ 2005-03-18 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Ajay Patel, gdb

I got gdb_6.3.orig.tar.gz and gdb_6.3-5.diff from debian.
Newer Gdb works on a statically linked binaries.

With the same gdb source/binaries I tried different
combination. Here is the summary.

For iX86 running FC3.
---------------------
Program with Linux threads & dynamic linking
   all thread related command works
Program with Linux threads static linking
   all thread related command works.

Program with NPTL & dynamic linking
   all thread realted command works.
Program with NPTL & static linking
  It gives following erros and thread related command does not work

warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: unknown thread_db
error '22'
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: unknown thread_db
error '22

With EMAC(PPC-G4) running YDL 4.0.
----------------------------------
With Linux threads static linking or dynamic linking
none of the thread related command work.

With NPTL static linking or dynamic linking
none of the thread related command work.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Ajay

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:59:12PM -0800, Ajay Patel wrote:
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I checked out gdb from CVS head and applied this
> > "http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2004-12/msg00240.html"
> > patch.
> >
> > But still no thread commands.
>
> I'm afraid you'll need the second patch referenced in that message; I
> haven't submitted it to gdb-patches yet - thought I had.  I will be
> doing that after this patch is approved, or you can try the Debian
> source package which includes the patch.
>

> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery, LLC

* Gdb warning message when doing Remote debugging
@ 2005-03-21  3:02 ` Yeo Siow Vic
From: Yeo Siow Vic @ 2005-03-21  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

hi,

I got the following warning message when i do a remote gdb debugging:

$ ./gdb <program_name>
(gdb) target remote 192.168.2.2:2000
Remote debugging using 192.168.2.2:2000
0x2aaa8dc0 in ?? ()
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
(gdb) c
Continuing
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/ld.so.1 : no such file or directory
Error while mapping shared library symbols:
/lib/ld.so.1 : no such file or directory

But i do have the dynamic library files on my target platform. What is the
problem here?

Thanks.
Victor

* Re: Gdb warning message when doing Remote debugging
@ 2005-03-21  3:12   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-03-21  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yeo Siow Vic; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:00:15AM +0800, Yeo Siow Vic wrote:
> hi,
>
> I got the following warning message when i do a remote gdb debugging:
>
> $ ./gdb <program_name>
> (gdb) target remote 192.168.2.2:2000
> Remote debugging using 192.168.2.2:2000
> 0x2aaa8dc0 in ?? ()
> warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
> GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
> and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
> (gdb) c
> Continuing
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> /lib/ld.so.1 : no such file or directory
> Error while mapping shared library symbols:
> /lib/ld.so.1 : no such file or directory
>
> But i do have the dynamic library files on my target platform. What is the
> problem here?

You probably want to search the archives for discussion of
solib-absolute-prefix.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC