public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* how to check the symbols inside binaries
@ 2005-04-29 17:57 lin q
From: lin q @ 2005-04-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
  I am debugging a program, the source files scatter around many different
places. When I start gdb and load the executable, I am prompted
"<path1>/gui_main.c:there is no such file or directory". The "path1" is not
right, there is no such directory at all.

  My question is how come gdb tries to load gui_main.c from path1? What is
the logic under the hood?

  The problem is even worse, gui_main.c is not my file, it must be from one
of libraries I link with. But I have no idea where it is.

  I run ldd against the program and I see a lot of shared libraries, so my
question is how I can know which library is this "gui_main" from? Or maybe
it is in the executable itself? How can I know that?

Thanks.

* Re: how to check the symbols inside binaries
@ 2005-04-29 18:03 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-04-29 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lin q; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:33:48AM -0600, lin q wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am debugging a program, the source files scatter around many different
> places. When I start gdb and load the executable, I am prompted
> "<path1>/gui_main.c:there is no such file or directory". The "path1" is not
> right, there is no such directory at all.
>
>  My question is how come gdb tries to load gui_main.c from path1? What is
> the logic under the hood?
>
>  The problem is even worse, gui_main.c is not my file, it must be from one
> of libraries I link with. But I have no idea where it is.

That is the directory which the file was compiled in, by whoever built
it.

>  I run ldd against the program and I see a lot of shared libraries, so my
> question is how I can know which library is this "gui_main" from? Or maybe
> it is in the executable itself? How can I know that?

Presumably it is in a library you link with.  Whichever one provides
"main".

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* how to check the symbols inside binaries
@ 2005-04-29 19:01 lin q
From: lin q @ 2005-04-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Sorry send this email again. There are more info about my question.

1) My linux is RedHat Enterprise 3, kernel version is "Linux xaqjibinh40
2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux".

2) gdb is 6.3

3) This "gui_main.c not found" error is from DDD, not gdb. But I still need
to know how to find the library that a symbol belonging to.

Thanks.