public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* reading register information from corefile
@ 2006-02-27 16:33 Harsha HS
From: Harsha HS @ 2006-02-27 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

 I am trying to build a corss gdb for mips r3k architecture. I am able
to load any mips executable on gdb and can debug the same

But when i try to load core file i get the message that "GDB can't
read core files on this machine".

Can u please help me by pointing to the code where I have to add to
struct target_ops the mips core file format and also the note section
in the core file to read the register information for a standalone
embedded application.

thanks
-harsha

* Re: reading register information from corefile
@ 2006-02-28  2:30 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-02-28  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha HS; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:46:13PM +0530, Harsha HS wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am trying to build a corss gdb for mips r3k architecture. I am able
> to load any mips executable on gdb and can debug the same
>
> But when i try to load core file i get the message that "GDB can't
> read core files on this machine".
>
> Can u please help me by pointing to the code where I have to add to
> struct target_ops the mips core file format and also the note section
> in the core file to read the register information for a standalone
> embedded application.

No, it's not in target_ops.  Take a look at
set_gdbarch_regset_from_core_section instead.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: reading register information from corefile
@ 2006-02-28 19:18   ` Harsha HS
From: Harsha HS @ 2006-02-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am trying to build a corss gdb for mips r3k architecture. When i try
to load core file i get the message that "GDB can't read core files on
this machine", as the function find_target_core returns NULL.

find_target_core scans the struct target_ops for the core_stratum and
returns the appropriate target structure.

Can u please help me on how to initialize the struct target_ops with
the relevent values to support the loading of the core file specific
to mips target.

@ 2006-02-28 23:49     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-02-28 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsha HS; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:15:57PM +0530, Harsha HS wrote:
> I am trying to build a corss gdb for mips r3k architecture. When i try
> to load core file i get the message that "GDB can't read core files on
> this machine", as the function find_target_core returns NULL.
>
> find_target_core scans the struct target_ops for the core_stratum and
> returns the appropriate target structure.
>
> Can u please help me on how to initialize the struct target_ops with
> the relevent values to support the loading of the core file specific
> to mips target.

It sounds like you didn't link in core file support.  Add it to
the list of target-specific files for your target - look at some of the
Linux or BSD targets for an example.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery