public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB commands and GDB protocol
@ 2007-10-11  8:13 Guillaume MENANT
From: Guillaume MENANT @ 2007-10-11  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello, I'm replacing a proprietary application (GRMON) by a free GDB wrapper (to make the link between GDB protocol and a specific one used by GRMON)
In order to do this, I'm seeking a document which would explain the GDB protocol (TCP link) and all mandatory commands in order to interface my application with Eclipse+CDT.
Thanks.
--

Guillaume Menant

*Ingénieur d’étude– /Software Engineer/**//*

La Fleuriaye – Rue Alessandro Volta – BP 50 758

44 481 Carquefou Cedex

*Tél** : +33 (0)2 53 46 00 70***

*Mobile : +33 (0)6 88 88 74 74*

*/mailto:guillaume.menant@geensys.com/**//*

http://www.geensys.com <http://www.geensys.com/>

* Re: GDB commands and GDB protocol
@ 2007-10-11 12:13 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-10-11 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:13:20AM +0200, Guillaume MENANT wrote:
> Hello, I'm replacing a proprietary application (GRMON) by a free GDB wrapper
> (to make the link between GDB protocol and a specific one used by GRMON)
> In order to do this, I'm seeking a document which would explain the GDB
> protocol (TCP link) and all mandatory commands in order to interface my
> application with Eclipse+CDT.

There is documentation of the remote protocol in the manual.  If
there's anything unclear about it, please ask here so we can improve
the documentation.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: GDB commands and GDB protocol
@ 2007-10-11 12:41   ` Guillaume MENANT
From: Guillaume MENANT @ 2007-10-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT, gdb

I've found this page :
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html#SEC679
I still have some questions :
- We just have to handle commands from the page above to manage the GDB
protocol (in TCP) ? The is no specific encapsulation ?
- How does Eclipse will know internal registers of my chip (registers
like sp, pc,  ...) ? Using qXfer and a XML file ? Is it mandatory for a
debugger to know internal registers ?

Guillaume Menant

@ 2007-10-11 12:53     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-10-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 02:41:17PM +0200, Guillaume MENANT wrote:
> I've found this page :
> http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html#SEC679
> I still have some questions :
> - We just have to handle commands from the page above to manage the GDB
> protocol (in TCP) ? The is no specific encapsulation ?

The Overview at the top of that page describes the encapsulation.

> - How does Eclipse will know internal registers of my chip (registers like sp,
> pc,  ...) ? Using qXfer and a XML file ? Is it mandatory for a debugger to know
> internal registers ?

The standard registers, like sp and pc, Eclipse will get the names
directly from GDB.  It's only if you have extra board-specific or
core-specific registers that you need to deal with XML descriptions.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: GDB commands and GDB protocol
@ 2007-10-12 11:55     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-10-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:35:07AM +0200, Guillaume MENANT wrote:
> I've got an question about the use of GDB. When my wrapper application will
> handle all commands described here :
> http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html#SEC713, how will I load my
> embedded application ? GDB handle RAM/Flash commands but there is no "load"
> command. So when I will make a "Load program" in Eclipse, will it use GDB
> (RAM/Flash commands) ?

Yes, it will.  There's no special remote packets for load.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: GDB commands and GDB protocol