public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Is there a configure time way of overriding the default architecture  (instance)?
@ 2007-10-16 22:32 Anmol P. Paralkar
From: Anmol P. Paralkar @ 2007-10-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

  Is it possible (via specification at configure time)
  to make GDB "set architecture" to an architecture
  instance of one's choice without actually having do a:
  "set architecture <architecture-instance>" /after/ GDB
  has been invoked?

  e.g. GDB (6.6.50) configured with target
  --target=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu will default to
  rs6000:6000. Is there a configure time way of
  specification so that in the built GDB, the
  architecture would be set to (say) powerpc:e500
  automatically, when invoked?

Thanks,
Anmol.

* Re: Is there a configure time way of overriding the default architecture   (instance)?
@ 2007-10-16 22:36 ` David Daney
From: David Daney @ 2007-10-16 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anmol P. Paralkar; +Cc: gdb

Anmol P. Paralkar wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Is it possible (via specification at configure time)
>  to make GDB "set architecture" to an architecture
>  instance of one's choice without actually having do a:
>  "set architecture <architecture-instance>" /after/ GDB
>  has been invoked?
>
>  e.g. GDB (6.6.50) configured with target
>  --target=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu will default to
>  rs6000:6000. Is there a configure time way of
>  specification so that in the built GDB, the
>  architecture would be set to (say) powerpc:e500
>  automatically, when invoked?

I don't know about a configure time option that would do that, but you
could add the 'set architecture...' to your .gdbinit file so that you
don't have to manually type it each time you start.

David Daney

* Re: Is there a configure time way of overriding the default  architecture  (instance)?
@ 2007-10-16 23:50 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-10-16 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anmol P. Paralkar; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 05:32:20PM -0500, Anmol P. Paralkar wrote:
>  e.g. GDB (6.6.50) configured with target
>  --target=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu will default to
>  rs6000:6000. Is there a configure time way of
>  specification so that in the built GDB, the
>  architecture would be set to (say) powerpc:e500
>  automatically, when invoked?

The right answer depends on why you want to do that.  In most cases
GDB should autodetect it from some combination of the executable and
the native or remote target.  For instance I just checked in patches
which improve automatic selection of e500.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery