public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-24 22:01 Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-10-24 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Nicolas Bonifas

The offered contribution, by Nicolas Bonifas, of a man page
for the gcore shell script has raised a question vis a vis
gdb's install script.

We have this shell script in our source tree, which invokes
gdb and makes it run the "gcore" command on a specified process.
This was, I believe, to mimic a 'gcore' command utility from
Sun (or some such).

But we've never installed the gcore shell script.

Should we?  Should we go ahead and put it into $<install>/bin?
In which case we might want to accept the contributed man page
and install that as well?

Apparently Debian's package installer does this, renaming the
script to just "gcore" in the process.

Michael

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-24 22:10 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2007-10-24 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Snyder; +Cc: gdb, Nicolas Bonifas

> Should we?  Should we go ahead and put it into $<install>/bin?
> In which case we might want to accept the contributed man page
> and install that as well?

I think it's a useful script to install. My only concern is that
not all configurations support the gcore command...

--
Joel

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-24 22:14   ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-10-24 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb, Nicolas Bonifas

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:10 -0700, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > Should we?  Should we go ahead and put it into $<install>/bin?
> > In which case we might want to accept the contributed man page
> > and install that as well?
>
> I think it's a useful script to install. My only concern is that
> not all configurations support the gcore command...

Configure?

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-24 22:24     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2007-10-24 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Snyder; +Cc: gdb, Nicolas Bonifas

> > I think it's a useful script to install. My only concern is that
> > not all configurations support the gcore command...
>
> Configure?

Or maybe check the contents of DEPFILES? If it contains gcore.o,
then install the script, otherwise we don't.

--
Joel

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-25  0:21       ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-10-25  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb, Nicolas Bonifas

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:24 -0700, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > > I think it's a useful script to install. My only concern is that
> > > not all configurations support the gcore command...
> >
> > Configure?
>
> Or maybe check the contents of DEPFILES? If it contains gcore.o,
> then install the script, otherwise we don't.

That sounds good.  Then we would not have to change much
except for like Makefile.in and configure.in.  Script something
like 'cat <host makefile fragment> | grep "gcore\.o"'

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-10-25  0:41         ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2007-10-25  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Snyder; +Cc: gdb, Nicolas Bonifas

> That sounds good.  Then we would not have to change much
> except for like Makefile.in and configure.in.  Script something
> like 'cat <host makefile fragment> | grep "gcore\.o"'

I think you can simplify this even further by only changing Makefile.in.
Instead of grep'ing the makefile fragment, which can only be done in
the configure script (and is also a little error prone), I think you
can just grep the value of ${DEPFILES} for gcore.o.

--
Joel

* Re: Should we install gcore.sh (and a gcore.1 man page)?
@ 2007-11-05  9:30           ` Nicolas Bonifas
From: Nicolas Bonifas @ 2007-11-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,