public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Question about DW_AT_variable_parameter in dwarf2read.c
@ 2011-08-31 21:20 Andrew Gontarek
From: Andrew Gontarek @ 2011-08-31 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am running into an issue with the latest cvs trunk of gdb and the way it
interprets the DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute inside of a
DW_TAG_formal_parameter. Currently, dwarf2read will check for the presence of
DW_AT_variable_parameter, and if set to 1, it marks the symbol as a reference
type. This seems wrong to me. The dwarf standard does not say that the presence
of DW_AT_variable_parameter means that the type must be a reference type. Is the
way gdb is interpreting the presence of this attribute a bug?

-Andrew

--
Andrew Gontarek
PE debugger development at CRAY

* Re: Question about DW_AT_variable_parameter in dwarf2read.c
@ 2011-09-01  7:23 ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2011-09-01  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Gontarek; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:12:52 +0200, Andrew Gontarek wrote:
> I am running into an issue with the latest cvs trunk of gdb and the way it
> interprets the DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute inside of a
> DW_TAG_formal_parameter.

This was a regression but the revert+testcase somehow got lost, checked it in
now:
	[new testcase] Regression 7.1->7.2 for iFort [Re: [RFA-v2] dwarf debug format: Support DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute]
	http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2010-11/msg00084.html
	Re: [Core] [new testcase] Regression 7.1->7.2 for iFort [Re: [RFA-v2] dwarf debug format: Support DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute]
	http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2011-09/msg00001.html

Thanks,
Jan