public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-13 12:44 Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2012-12-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello all,

Jan was asking about the snaphots we provide on sourceware's
FTP server. And indeed, we have many!

We produce weekly snaphots, and daily patches, I believe.
As far as I can tell, the scripts are supposed to delete old
snapshots, only keeping a certain number of every kind (numbers
depend on the type of file - for instance we keep more daily
diffs than we keep weekly tarballs).

I believe that the scripts do not delete old snapshots after
we increment the version number, so old snapshots have been
accumulating:
  - HEAD snapshots: 1.2GB with ~230 files;
  - branch snapshots: 3.6GB with ~630 files.
    (we have snapshots dating back to 6.3)

I am going to do some cleanup, but how far back do we want
to keep?

Joel

* Re: old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-13 13:48 ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2012-12-13 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brobecker; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:43:45 +0400
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
>
> Hello all,
>
> Jan was asking about the snaphots we provide on sourceware's
> FTP server. And indeed, we have many!
>
> We produce weekly snaphots, and daily patches, I believe.
> As far as I can tell, the scripts are supposed to delete old
> snapshots, only keeping a certain number of every kind (numbers
> depend on the type of file - for instance we keep more daily
> diffs than we keep weekly tarballs).
>
> I believe that the scripts do not delete old snapshots after
> we increment the version number, so old snapshots have been
> accumulating:
>   - HEAD snapshots: 1.2GB with ~230 files;
>   - branch snapshots: 3.6GB with ~630 files.
>     (we have snapshots dating back to 6.3)
>
> I am going to do some cleanup, but how far back do we want
> to keep?

What's the rationale for having snapshots at all when we have anoncvs access?

* Re: old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-13 13:52   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2012-12-13 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: gdb

> What's the rationale for having snapshots at all when we have anoncvs
> access?

It was Before My Time, but my suspicion is that we want to allow
access to snapshots without requiring CVS. Is that worth keeping?
That's why I'd like to know if there are any logs that would allow
us to measure how often these snapshots are downloaded...

--
Joel

* Re: old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-13 13:54   ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2012-12-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:47:51 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > I am going to do some cleanup, but how far back do we want
> > to keep?

I need only the very latest snapshot.  For more I (=Fedora releases) would
need all the snapshots for the last approx. a year (for the case a Fedora
release is made from one of those).

> What's the rationale for having snapshots at all when we have anoncvs access?

As they are made from "src-release", that is like "make dist".
Users fail to build it from repository (such as due to bison + flex).

Jan

* Re: old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-21  7:37     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2012-12-21  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kratochvil; +Cc: gdb

> I need only the very latest snapshot.  For more I (=Fedora releases) would
> need all the snapshots for the last approx. a year (for the case a Fedora
> release is made from one of those).

I cleaned up a bit the ftp. I hope I didn't screw up for the branch
tarballs, as I only kept snapshots from version 7.4 and up, not
realizing at first that 7.4 was only in Apr of this year. For
the head, I was a little more conservative, and kept everything
from 7.3 and up (Nov 2011).

--
Joel

* Re: old GDB snapshots...
@ 2012-12-21 16:04       ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2012-12-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:36:50 +0100, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> I cleaned up a bit the ftp.

Thanks.  The fresh files are no longer lost there between all the obsolete
ones.

Jan