On 09 Oct 2015 10:41, Pedro Alves wrote: > On 10/09/2015 07:08 AM, Ashutosh wrote: > > Regarding using C++, I just hit upon the following conversation on the > > gdb-patches list: > > https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2015-02/msg00202.html > > > > where it seems that there's some work going on compiling gdb sources > > with g++. Any idea if this support is available in some form already > > in gdb 7.10 or when is it planned to be released? > > The status in the wiki page linked from that url is accurate. > > GDB nowadays builds and links in C++ when configured > with --enable-build-with-cxx, though that still spews a ton of warnings. > There's been constant incremental progress so we'll get there eventually. > > No release has been marked as the one where we'll switch to C++ as > default language -- it'll get done when it's done; though the sooner > the better. :-) even if the C++ frontend is used, and C++ is the default language, that doesn't mean that all C++ functionality will be accepted. there are a lot of design patterns and C++ APIs that are generally bad, and gdb is meant to be portable. so i'd expect there will be guidelines put together as to acceptable standards base (C11/C14/etc...) as well as headers and interfaces that are permitted and ones that are banned. saying "it's C++ now!" is pretty vague ;). -mike