On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 19:18:51 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote: > During the BoF Pedro mentioned that the GDB DWARF5 .debug_names support > is incomplete/wrong. I was wondering whether there was a good > description of the issue and/or a bug report for it. When using the > contrib/gdb-add-index.sh it does add a .gdb_index for objects > containing DWARF5 and the results seem correct, gdb also seems to be > able to use it. When adding -dwarf-5 it seems to output a .debug_names > section which can be read by binutils readelf (elfutils doesn't yet > support .debug_names). I couldn't immediately see in what way it was > wrong/incomplete. .debug_names from GDB needs to produce also DW_IDX_die_offset to make it consumable by debuggers with reasonable performance. Then I see clang++ -gdwarf-5 -gpubnames produces C++ names mangled while GDB produces them unmangled. I haven't found anything in DWARF-5 standard suggesting either. Given mangled->unmangled mapping is possible but unmangled->mangled is not (such as variants of ctors/dtors) I find the clang way should be followed. Jan