public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Andrew Burgess <andrew.burgess@embecosm.com>
To: binutils@sourceware.org, gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Maintenance of top-level files
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 09:23:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi!

I wonder what the policy is these days regarding how the top level
files are maintained, e.g. Makefile.def and configure.ac?

I know once upon a time these files were maintained in the gcc
repository and then back-ported periodically to binutils-gdb, however,
as far as I can see the last attempt to sync from gcc was this commit:

  commit f948b2de97884bfb4e5fc11d40a6bea9e0b096ae
  Date:   Wed May 29 12:43:42 2019 +0100

      Sync top level files with versions from gcc.

Which was over 2 years ago.  This commit was then quickly reverted:

  commit e3f56a99f66298bb505d0426950b9716a853a5df
  Date:   Thu May 30 11:17:19 2019 +0100

      Revert "Sync top level files with versions from gcc."

Since then there's been 30+ patches to the top level files.

My question then, is what are peoples thoughts on how these files
should be managed?  Are we going to try and get back in step with gcc?
Or are we happy to continue to diverging?

Thanks,
Andrew