public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch>
To: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Internal error with gcc 4.7 elffile
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 08:54:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello

I'm currently working with a gdb 11.2.90.20220208, used for cross-compiled
.elf files for PowerPC and ARM. There are no problems with elf files from
gcc 7 or 10 or clang 12. However an elf file from a gcc 4.7 leads to an
internal error in gdb. Somehow it can't detect the architecture. It should
be PowerPC as readelf is able to confirm.

----------------------------
Reading symbols from inos_testing.elf...
../../gdb/gdbarch.c:3576: internal-error: bool gdbarch_elf_make_msymbol_special_p(gdbarch*): Assertion `gdbarch != NULL' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session?

First I wanted to know if this should work at all or is gcc 4.7 too old to
be supported by gdb 11? If it should still work, is this a known problem?
I couldn't find bugs mentioning gdbarch.c
The same elffile works perfectly fine with a gdb 7.6. A workaround seems
to be to first start gdb, then set architecture before loading elffile.

Thanks

bye  Fabi