public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb for Riscv, single stepping issue
@ 2022-06-27 20:40 James Becker
From: James Becker @ 2022-06-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

I have a RISCV-EL2 core running in a Nexys A7 FPGA board.

I have openocd for riscv running over jtag with a connection by
riscv-gdb to the openocd instance at port 3333.

Everything works fine, stepping, break points, load, view memory.

But I have one issue: Some of the memory in my design is 4 byte
aligned.  Its designed for fast instruction fetch, its known as ICCM.

When I have code running in that memory, gdb still works fine for
breakpoints, but it will not single step.

Looking at the openocd debug files, it appears that gdb is attempting to
do a 2 byte read as a part of the single stepping procedure.

Since my memory does not support 2 byte reads or writes, this fails.

Is there some way that gdb can be configured to not do any 2-byte word
reads or writes during single stepping?  I can't seem to find any.

--
Jim Becker
CrossFire Technologies Inc
1000 Westgate Dr. Suite 150-I
St. Paul, MN 55114
Mobile: +1 303-507-6399
www.CrossFire-Tech.com Warning: The information contained in this
electronic mail message (and any attached document) from CrossFire
Technologies Inc. is intended only for the personal and confidential use
of the designated recipient(s) named above. This information may be
considered confidential by CrossFire Technologies Inc, or may be
privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under law. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this message in error and that any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone and e-mail and destroy any and all
copies of this message (and all attached documents) in your possession
(whether hard copies or electronically stored copies). This
communication is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,
18 U.S.C. §§ 2510 - 2521. Thank you.