public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* RE: Adding MAC registers on H8300 Simulator [H8S/2600]
@ 2003-02-20 18:28 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2003-02-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida, Kazu Hirata, Petr Ledvina; +Cc: gnuh8, gdb

Hi, all

Peoples, at first, please look in file include/gdb/sim-h8300.h, This file
(more then half year ago old) ALREADY contain MACH and MACL numbers.
And also contain some useful constants too, i.e. SIM_H8300_NUM_COMMON_REGS,
SIM_H8300_S_NUM_REGS, SIM_H8300_NUM_REGS.

> > As the H8S/2600 CPU has MAC registers, specifically
> > MACH and MACL, I added them to the H8300 Simulator. How
> > do I make GDB recognize these registers, more
> > specifically, what are the files that need to be
> > modified?

sim/h8300/compile.c (IMHO, better rewrite it from scratch ;) and
gdb/h8300-tdep.c
Also look  at multiarch patch from 2002-08-06 in gdb-patches archive
(It was not accepted and replaced by Corina's multiarch patch). Also,
if you have much time, very best way is write model for cgen.

> in target definition, NUM_REGS specifies how many registers gdb uses.
> REGISTER_NAME return name of given register.
> This vector already contains special registers (cycles, inst,
> .. ), so it
> should be possible to add new registers.
> gdbstub needs to only know register index mapping, so adding
> new registers
> to end of this list should be compatible.
>
> Also check cvs log, someone (Andrew Volkov?) added exr
> register recently
> to simulator, so he could know better.
>
> > Also, how do I make these registers conditionally
> > displayed on GDB when the CPU is H8S/2600.
> IIRC gdb knows only h8s target, so this could be quite difficult.

Kazu, this question to you, remember our chat about new BFD target for
h8s/2600?
I dont't add real MAC support to simulator, 'cause bumped same problem,
only one solution I found - command to enable/disable MAC directly :(.

Andrey Volkov

* Re: Adding MAC registers on H8300 Simulator [H8S/2600]
@ 2003-03-12 21:24 ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2003-03-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida; +Cc: gnuh8, gdb

"D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As the H8S/2600 CPU has MAC registers, specifically
> MACH and MACL, I added them to the H8300 Simulator. How
> do I make GDB recognize these registers, more
> specifically, what are the files that need to be
> modified? In the simulator, I have added the registers
> in the cpu_state structure and some other places.

Hi Venky --

You did?  I don't see your changes in the repository,
nor do I see your name in the ChangeLog.

I would be interested in helping you get these changes in.
Can you send me your patches, or pointers to them?

> Also, how do I make these registers conditionally
> displayed on GDB when the CPU is H8S/2600.

This sounds like a job for -- gdbarch!
Don't worry, it should not be too difficult.

Michael

* RE: Adding MAC registers on H8300 Simulator [H8S/2600]
@ 2003-02-22  8:51 D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida
From: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida @ 2003-02-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov, Kazu Hirata, Petr Ledvina; +Cc: gnuh8, gdb

>> > Also, how do I make these registers conditionally
>> > displayed on GDB when the CPU is H8S/2600.
>> IIRC gdb knows only h8s target, so this could be quite difficult.
>
>Kazu, this question to you, remember our chat about new BFD target for
>h8s/2600?
>I dont't add real MAC support to simulator, 'cause bumped same problem,
>only one solution I found - command to enable/disable MAC directly :(.

This is a pretty serious flaw on the present target definitions for the H8
CPUs,
probably, I could get the MAC registers to display for all H8S CPUs,
(politically
incorrect but still useful) as MAC instructions are beginning to be
generated.

>Andrey Volkov

Venky

* Re: Adding MAC registers on H8300 Simulator [H8S/2600]
@ 2003-02-20 16:18 ` Petr Ledvina
From: Petr Ledvina @ 2003-02-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida; +Cc: gnuh8, gdb

> As the H8S/2600 CPU has MAC registers, specifically
> MACH and MACL, I added them to the H8300 Simulator. How
> do I make GDB recognize these registers, more
> specifically, what are the files that need to be
> modified?
in target definition, NUM_REGS specifies how many registers gdb uses.
REGISTER_NAME return name of given register.
This vector already contains special registers (cycles, inst, .. ), so it
should be possible to add new registers.
gdbstub needs to only know register index mapping, so adding new registers
to end of this list should be compatible.

Also check cvs log, someone (Andrew Volkov?) added exr register recently
to simulator, so he could know better.

> Also, how do I make these registers conditionally
> displayed on GDB when the CPU is H8S/2600.
IIRC gdb knows only h8s target, so this could be quite difficult.

> Any pointers will be highly appreciated. ;-)
Expanding register vector should work fine, but gdb maintainers opinion
may be different ...

Petr Ledvina
ledvinap@n.cz

* Adding MAC registers on H8300 Simulator [H8S/2600]
@ 2003-02-20 15:35 D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida
From: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida @ 2003-02-20 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuh8, gdb; +Cc: D.Venkatasubramanian, Noida

Hi All,

As the H8S/2600 CPU has MAC registers, specifically
MACH and MACL, I added them to the H8300 Simulator. How
do I make GDB recognize these registers, more
specifically, what are the files that need to be
modified? In the simulator, I have added the registers
in the cpu_state structure and some other places.

Also, how do I make these registers conditionally
displayed on GDB when the CPU is H8S/2600.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated. ;-)

Thanks and Regards,

Venky