public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* checkpoints vs multithreaded programs
@ 2011-04-08  8:54 przemekk834a
From: przemekk834a @ 2011-04-08  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

Recently I've found the following message on the bugs list:

[Bug threads/12628] New: GDB checkpoint can't/shouldn't be possible with multiple threads on Linux

I have a quick question: does it mean that checkpoint support for multithreaded programs will be removed from future versions of GDB? (If I understand correctly this never have been working due to Linux system limitations).

I'm asking because I write a GUI frontend for GDB and I consider adding GUI for checkpoints -- but with single-thread limitation I doubt this makes much sense.

Best regards,
Przemek Kuczmierczyk

* Re: checkpoints vs multithreaded programs
@ 2011-04-08  9:01 ` Kevin Pouget
From: Kevin Pouget @ 2011-04-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: przemekk834a; +Cc: gdb

some work has been done to support GlibC/Pthread checkpointing:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/jansel/papers/2006pdpta.pdf but it would
require some substantial work to really support it from GDB I guess

@ 2011-04-08  9:02 ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2011-04-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: przemekk834a; +Cc: gdb

I am not sure, but I think it will not very easy.

Because checkpoint is depend on fork() to record the everything.  But
it cannot record multithreads info.

Thanks,
Hui

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 16:54, przemekk834a <przemekk834a@o2.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I've found the following message on the bugs list:
>
> [Bug threads/12628] New: GDB checkpoint can't/shouldn't be possible with multiple threads on Linux
>
> I have a quick question: does it mean that checkpoint support for multithreaded programs will be removed from future versions of GDB? (If I understand correctly this never have been working due to Linux system limitations).
>
> I'm asking because I write a GUI frontend for GDB and I consider adding GUI for checkpoints -- but with single-thread limitation I doubt this makes much sense.
>
> Best regards,
> Przemek Kuczmierczyk

* Re: Re: checkpoints vs multithreaded programs
@ 2011-04-08 10:13   ` przemekk834a
From: przemekk834a @ 2011-04-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin  Pouget; +Cc: gdb

Thanks for the information.

I understand the problems with fork()-based implementation.

I've also tried DMTCP (more advanced version of the library described
in the paper). Their support for GDB is still experimental and in fact
I was unable to get it working, but possibly it will become stable
in some subsequent release.

Thanks,
Przemek Kuczmierczyk