public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* target remote and UDP source port (needed for kgdb debugging)
@ 2007-12-19 12:40 sfora dim
From: sfora dim @ 2007-12-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

When I "target remote udp:192.168.1.1:6433" I do not control
my source UDP port, and it is picken randomly, usually above
the 30K.

Is there a way to ask gdb to use a specific UDP port when debugging
a remote target ?

This is important to me because when using kgdb as a target,
I need to let it know what source port the gdb packets will come from.

Thank you,
sfora

* Re: target remote and UDP source port (needed for kgdb debugging)
@ 2007-12-19 13:56 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-12-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfora dim; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:40:28PM +0200, sfora dim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I "target remote udp:192.168.1.1:6433" I do not control
> my source UDP port, and it is picken randomly, usually above
> the 30K.
>
> Is there a way to ask gdb to use a specific UDP port when debugging
> a remote target ?

No, there is not.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: target remote and UDP source port (needed for kgdb debugging)
@ 2007-12-19 14:32   ` sfora dim
From: sfora dim @ 2007-12-19 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow, gdb

On 12/19/07, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:40:28PM +0200, sfora dim wrote:
> > Is there a way to ask gdb to use a specific UDP port when debugging
> > a remote target ?
>
> No, there is not.

So how do people work with this ?

I use tcpdump every time I begin a debugging session, and once I see
the source port, I reconfigure my kgdb.

Is there a better way (this is rather awkward) ?

thank you
sfora

@ 2007-12-19 15:32     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-12-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfora dim; +Cc: drow, gdb

"sfora dim" <sfora.dim@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a better way (this is rather awkward) ?

netstat?

Andreas.

* Re: target remote and UDP source port (needed for kgdb debugging)
@ 2007-12-19 16:29     ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2007-12-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfora.dim; +Cc: drow, gdb

 sfora> On 12/19/07, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
 >> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:40:28PM +0200, sfora dim wrote: > Is
 >> there a way to ask gdb to use a specific UDP port when debugging >
 >> a remote target ?
 >>
 >> No, there is not.

 sfora> So how do people work with this ?

 sfora> I use tcpdump every time I begin a debugging session, and once
 sfora> I see the source port, I reconfigure my kgdb.

 sfora> Is there a better way (this is rather awkward) ?

Fix the stub so it doesn't require a hardcoded source port?  It's
pretty weird to expect the originator of traffic to have a fixed port
number.

	paul