public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Remote Commands and GDB
@ 2001-03-21 15:59 Stephen Smith
From: Stephen Smith @ 2001-03-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

I may have found the answer to my shared library problem - the command "add-symbol-file FILENAME ADDRESS"

Now, if there is a way to have the stub/gdbserver on a target send a command to gdb on a host?  If so, my server could
tell gdb what it needs to do with the above command.

For instance,   let's say the the OS on the target  loaded a process by the name of FOO, and FOO used a shared library
SO4FOO.   Gdb and Gdbserver know how to debug FOO.  Could gdbserver (since it can in my case read the headers and
therefore knows the libraries and their addresses) send a message back to gdb: "add-symbol-file SO4FOO 0x81000fee".

sps

* Re: Remote Commands and GDB
@ 2001-04-06 11:30 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-04-06 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smith; +Cc: GDB

Stephen Smith wrote:

> I may have found the answer to my shared library problem - the command "add-symbol-file FILENAME ADDRESS"
>
> Now, if there is a way to have the stub/gdbserver on a target send a command to gdb on a host?  If so, my server could
> tell gdb what it needs to do with the above command.
>
> For instance,   let's say the the OS on the target  loaded a process by the name of FOO, and FOO used a shared library
> SO4FOO.   Gdb and Gdbserver know how to debug FOO.  Could gdbserver (since it can in my case read the headers and
> therefore knows the libraries and their addresses) send a message back to gdb: "add-symbol-file SO4FOO 0x81000fee".

No unfortunatly, the protocol is very much based around GDB telling the
stub to do stuff.  The only window of oportunity might be with the reply
to continue/stop et.al. packets.

	Andrew