public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* problems with GDB on Debian 3.0 for mips
@ 2003-03-28 18:21 Chris Plummer
From: Chris Plummer @ 2003-03-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I have an application I build that I can't debug with gdb on Debain 3.0
for mips (on both an SGI Indy and a Cobalt Qube 2). I've sucessfully run
gdb on other large applications like xemacs. Also, if use -static when
linking my app, there is no problem. This same problem can be reproduced
debugging "ls". The log output is below.

  indy-04$ gdb ls
  GNU gdb 2002-04-01-cvs
   [snip]
  (gdb) run
  Starting program: /bin/ls
  (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
  (no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1024 (LWP 23611)]
  (no debugging symbols found)...
  Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
  [Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 23611)]
  warning: Warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0xffffffff.
   [snip]
  0xffffffff in ?? ()
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0xffffffff in ?? ()
  #1  0x2aacf3c8 in _dl_init () from /lib/ld.so.1
  Cannot access memory at address 0x38

Any idea what the problem is? I don't subscribe to this mailing list, so
please CC: me.

Thanks,

Chris Plummer

* Re: problems with GDB on Debian 3.0 for mips
@ 2003-03-28 18:25 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-28 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Plummer; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:19:27AM -0800, Chris Plummer wrote:
> I have an application I build that I can't debug with gdb on Debain 3.0
> for mips (on both an SGI Indy and a Cobalt Qube 2). I've sucessfully run
> gdb on other large applications like xemacs. Also, if use -static when
> linking my app, there is no problem. This same problem can be reproduced
> debugging "ls". The log output is below.

This is a bug in the glibc headers used to build GDB.  It should be
fixed in glibc CVS and in Debian unstable.

If you want, you can fix your headers and rebuild gdb.  If I remember
correctly you need to change two lines in sys/procfs.h to say:
typedef elf_gregset_t prgregset_t;
typedef elf_fpregset_t prfpregset_t;

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: problems with GDB on Debian 3.0 for mips
@ 2003-03-28 22:19   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-03-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Chris Plummer; +Cc: gdb

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:19:27AM -0800, Chris Plummer wrote:
>
>> I have an application I build that I can't debug with gdb on Debain 3.0
>> for mips (on both an SGI Indy and a Cobalt Qube 2). I've sucessfully run
>> gdb on other large applications like xemacs. Also, if use -static when
>> linking my app, there is no problem. This same problem can be reproduced
>> debugging "ls". The log output is below.
>

> This is a bug in the glibc headers used to build GDB.  It should be
> fixed in glibc CVS and in Debian unstable.
>
> If you want, you can fix your headers and rebuild gdb.  If I remember
> correctly you need to change two lines in sys/procfs.h to say:
> typedef elf_gregset_t prgregset_t;
> typedef elf_fpregset_t prfpregset_t;

Assuming the fix works, can someone please file a bug report.  Might
want this in the PROBLEMS file for the next release.

Andrew