public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* remote GDB problem reading instructions from FLASH (IXP425)
@ 2003-08-25 19:56 Jonathan Wurtz
From: Jonathan Wurtz @ 2003-08-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: linux-arm

Hello,

I'm trying to debug code running from Flash on an IXDP425 (XScale) board.  To do
this, I'm using xscale-elf-gdb on the host, which communicates with the target
via the Abatron BDI200 JTAG interface unit.  Whenever the code hits a breakpoint
in flash (which, I assume is a HW breakpoint, since it's in flash, and the code
does stop), GDB on the host requests to read target memory for that 32-bit
instruction.  Unfortunately, this instruction resides in flash, which only
supports 16-data reads.

I've observed this with "set debug remote" turned on:

  > /* Code hits hardware (I assume) breakpoint set at 0x50013b3c */
  >   Sending packet: $m50013b3c,4#be...Ack
  >   Packet received: E01
  >   Cannot access memory at address 0x50013b3c

Is there any way to get GDB to limit reads from within a certain memory range to
16-bits at a time?  Or, at least to manually set the read size for instruction
fetches to either 16 or 32, based on where I know I'm executing code?

I've tried setting the GDB variables 'set remote memory-read-packet-size' and
'set remote memory-write-packet-size' both to 2 (bytes), but it seemed to have
no effect on GDB instruction fetches.

This is my interpretation of the evidence.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help appreciated :-)
--Jon

--
Jonathan Wurtz
Senior Software Engineer

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-08-25 19:56 UTC | newest]