public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Progress on SPARC
@ 2003-11-02 21:04 Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2003-11-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: bcollins

Thanks to Ben Collins and the Debian project, I've completed the
64-bit GNU/Linux SPARC support.  In order to debug 64-bit code you'll
need to compile GDB with a compiler that produces 64-bit code.  If you
use a 32-bit compiler and configure for sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu
anyway, you'll probably end up with a debugger that doesn't work.
I'll see if I can fix that later.

There is also some support for 64-bit Solaris SPARC on the branch now,
but I don't know if it'll work.

I still have to revicve NetBSD (both 32-bit and 64-bit) before I can
merge this stuff into mainline.

Mark

* Re: Progress on SPARC
@ 2003-11-02 21:53 ` Ben Collins
From: Ben Collins @ 2003-11-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: gdb

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:04:48PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Thanks to Ben Collins and the Debian project, I've completed the
> 64-bit GNU/Linux SPARC support.  In order to debug 64-bit code you'll
> need to compile GDB with a compiler that produces 64-bit code.  If you
> use a 32-bit compiler and configure for sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu
> anyway, you'll probably end up with a debugger that doesn't work.
> I'll see if I can fix that later.
>
> There is also some support for 64-bit Solaris SPARC on the branch now,
> but I don't know if it'll work.
>
> I still have to revicve NetBSD (both 32-bit and 64-bit) before I can
> merge this stuff into mainline.

Does the 64-bit gdb support debugging 32-bit binaries? I ask, because
Dave Miller's work getting GDB to support 64-bit sparc binaries did in
fact support debugging 32-bit binaries.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

* Re: Progress on SPARC
@ 2003-11-03 18:38   ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2003-11-03 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bcollins; +Cc: gdb

   Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:31:47 -0500
   From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>

   Does the 64-bit gdb support debugging 32-bit binaries? I ask, because
   Dave Miller's work getting GDB to support 64-bit sparc binaries did in
   fact support debugging 32-bit binaries.

Yes it does.  It mostly works, and running the testsuite in a 32-bit
environment on a 64-bit GDB doesn't produce results that are much
worse than running the testsuite on a 32-bit GDB.  The 64-bit GDB
doesn't read 32-bit core files right now, but I should be able to fix
that soon after I merge the SPARC-branch into mainline.  Debugging
32-bit threaded apps with a 64-bit GDB doesn't work too well either.
This will be much harder too fix since we have absolutely no support
for cross-platform threads debugging on Linux.

Dave's GDB probably has the same problems.

Mark

* Re: Progress on SPARC
@ 2003-11-03 19:18     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-11-03 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: bcollins, gdb

>    Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:31:47 -0500
>    From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
>
>    Does the 64-bit gdb support debugging 32-bit binaries? I ask, because
>    Dave Miller's work getting GDB to support 64-bit sparc binaries did in
>    fact support debugging 32-bit binaries.
>
> Yes it does.  It mostly works, and running the testsuite in a 32-bit
> environment on a 64-bit GDB doesn't produce results that are much
> worse than running the testsuite on a 32-bit GDB.  The 64-bit GDB
> doesn't read 32-bit core files right now, but I should be able to fix
> that soon after I merge the SPARC-branch into mainline.  Debugging
> 32-bit threaded apps with a 64-bit GDB doesn't work too well either.
> This will be much harder too fix since we have absolutely no support
> for cross-platform threads debugging on Linux.

FYI, a very recent glibc should address the 32x64 libthread-db problems.
    My amd64-gdb branch gave identical results to a straight i386 GDB.

> Dave's GDB probably has the same problems.

Yes, and more.

Andrew