public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* testsuite questions.
@ 2004-04-23 18:15 Manoj Iyer
From: Manoj Iyer @ 2004-04-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am trying to compare the test results from the GDB I built vs the GDB
installed on the system. I found that if I set GDB "/usr/bin/mygdb" in the
testcases.exp file, the testcase uses my custom GDB instead of searching
for one in src/gdb/.

1. Is there any enviroment variable that I can set to make the testcase
use my custom GDB, for instance the one in /usr/local/bin/gdb?

Also, when the testcase '.c' file is compiled, the compile line ignores
any CFLAGS or CC variables that I set, I found that gdb_compile and
target-compile use CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET and CC_FOR_TARGET varialbles. I would
like to use my custom compiler and compile the testcase as a 64bit binary
(-m64 flag).

2. Is there any enviroment variable I can use to control the value of
these variables?

The intention is to disconnect the testsuite from using the system
utilities and GDB that gets built, but use the testcase to test a
different binary of GDB that I have in a separate local/system directory.
This way I can compare the test results from system gdb (or any gdb binary
forthat matter)  with the one that I downloaded from cvs.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Manjo

* Re: testsuite questions.
@ 2004-04-24  0:03 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-04-24  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manoj Iyer; +Cc: gdb

> I am trying to compare the test results from the GDB I built vs the GDB
> installed on the system. I found that if I set GDB "/usr/bin/mygdb" in the
> testcases.exp file, the testcase uses my custom GDB instead of searching
> for one in src/gdb/.
>
> 1. Is there any enviroment variable that I can set to make the testcase
> use my custom GDB, for instance the one in /usr/local/bin/gdb?

I don't remember.

> Also, when the testcase '.c' file is compiled, the compile line ignores
> any CFLAGS or CC variables that I set, I found that gdb_compile and
> target-compile use CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET and CC_FOR_TARGET varialbles. I would
> like to use my custom compiler and compile the testcase as a 64bit binary
> (-m64 flag).

You need to pass the stuff to dejagnu.  For this, I'd recommend:

   make check 'RUNTESTFLAFS=--target_board=unix/-m32\ unix/-m64'

however, 'RUNTESTFLAGS=... CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=...' also has an effect.

> 2. Is there any enviroment variable I can use to control the value of
> these variables?
>
> The intention is to disconnect the testsuite from using the system
> utilities and GDB that gets built, but use the testcase to test a
> different binary of GDB that I have in a separate local/system directory.
> This way I can compare the test results from system gdb (or any gdb binary
> forthat matter)  with the one that I downloaded from cvs.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Manjo

* Re: testsuite questions.
@ 2004-04-24  0:03 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2004-04-24  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, manjo

> 1. Is there any enviroment variable that I can set to make the testcase
> use my custom GDB, for instance the one in /usr/local/bin/gdb?

I do this by setting $PATH.

BTW, if you build your software "--prefix=...", you don't even need root
access on the box.  No need to touch /usr/local/bin.

> 2. Is there any enviroment variable I can use to control the value of
> these variables?

I do this by setting $PATH.  Yup, I have a little shim directory,
with a script in it named "gcc" that just calls the real compiler
that I want with the options I want.  Ewww, it's gross!  But it
gets my testing done.

If I just want to adjust the version of gcc that I use, I just
make sure that I've configured that version of gcc using a
convenient "--prefix=/.../.../..." option, and that I've actually
installed that version of gcc.  There's lots of code in dejagnu
to test built-but-not-installed yet gcc trees, but it doesn't
help me any.

> The intention is to disconnect the testsuite from using the system
> utilities and GDB that gets built, but use the testcase to test a
> different binary of GDB that I have in a separate local/system directory.

$PATH works really well for selecting the gdb to run.

> Any input is greatly appreciated.

You might wanna look at:

  ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/migchain/migchain-0.8.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/migbat/migbat-0.8.tar.gz
  http://www.shout.net/~mec/sunday/current/index.html

Michael C