public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-17 20:32 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-06-17 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I've come up the following dates:
   Branch:  July 1 (2004-07)
   Release: August (2004-08)
   reSpin:  September (2004-09)
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/schedule/

There's clearly a desire to at least have a new GDB containing all the
recent PPC changes come out sooner rather than later.

So please discuss :-)

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-29 14:28 ` Randolph Chung
From: Randolph Chung @ 2004-06-29 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

> native hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11 has regressions in 17 test scripts.
> I estimate there's about 1 real regression bug per 4-5 test scripts,
> so there are about 4-5 real regression bugs to hunt down and fix
> (or document).

Looks like Jeff's watchpoint fix fixes the recurse.exp regression
against 6.1(.1) for hppa-hpux. it probably will also fix some of the
other regressions...  very cool :)

recurse.exp is still broken on hppa-linux :( It works with stabs but not
with dwarf2.  Of course, that is not a regression....

i can look at some of the other regressions next week.

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports

* Re: GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-18 17:02 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-06-18 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: gdb

> mec> 1677 is probably easy to fix.  1650 looks significantly deeper.
> mec> The problem with 1650 is that gdb HEAD randomly gets internal errors,
> mec> but gdb 6.1 does not, on the same test script.
> ac> These worry me
>
> I'll be looking at 1650 over the weekend.  I doubt that I can fix it
> but I can analyze it some more.
>
> ac> (btw, no one got around to moving selftest.exp to
> ac> testsuite/gdb.gdb/ :-).
>
> Is there a PR for it?

It's just a todo item, after gdb.gdb/ was created, no one got around to
moving selftest.exp there (the test gdb debugging gdb directory), oops :-)

> ac> But these don't. Presumably being ISA specific its possible to have
> ac> fixes easily pulled into the branch.
>
> Good point.  Some of them are probably hppa-specific or hpux-specific
> and easy to fix.
>
> But some of the problems involve watchpoints, so it might be something
> that happens on several arches besides hppa-hpux.  All I really know is
> that it happens on hppa-hpux and does not happen on i686-linux.

FYI,JeffJ's already narrowed the watchpoint regressions down to a
specific patch, so I think that's under control.

> I have to roll up my sleeves and do a bunch of cvs narrowing, which
> is a pain on the hp test drive cluster.

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-18 15:43 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2004-06-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cagney; +Cc: gdb

[...]

Michael C

* Re: GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-18 15:33 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-06-18 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: gdb

> I think July 1 is too soon to cut the branch.
>
> native i686-pc-linux-gnu has two regressions from gdb 6.1 to gdb HEAD.
>
>   gdb/1650  manythreads.exp
>   gdb/1677  [regression] selftest.exp, crash in lookup_symtab
>
> 1677 is probably easy to fix.  1650 looks significantly deeper.
> The problem with 1650 is that gdb HEAD randomly gets internal errors,
> but gdb 6.1 does not, on the same test script.

These worry me (btw, no one got around to moving selftest.exp to
testsuite/gdb.gdb/ :-).

> native hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11 has regressions in 17 test scripts.
> I estimate there's about 1 real regression bug per 4-5 test scripts,
> so there are about 4-5 real regression bugs to hunt down and fix
> (or document).
>
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-testers/2004-q2/msg00160.html
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-testers/2004-q2/msg00157.html

But these don't. Presumably being ISA specific its possible to have
fixes easily pulled into the branch.

There's also a balancing act here.  GDB as a whole should continue to
improve.  While there are the above regressioins, there are also
dramatic improvements on other ISAs such as i386 and PPC/PPC64.

enjoy,
Andrew

* Re: GDB 6.2 release schedule?
@ 2004-06-17 21:03 Michael Elizabeth Chastain