public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* remote protocol question
@ 2004-07-12 23:14 Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2004-07-12 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I was wondering if there is a way via the remote protocol for a stub to
tell GDB to update (or invalidate) its copy of any state that might be
cached?

thanks

- kumar

* Re: remote protocol question
@ 2004-07-14 17:40 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-07-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Gala; +Cc: gdb

> I was wondering if there is a way via the remote protocol for a stub to tell GDB to update (or invalidate) its copy of any state that might be cached?

Can you expand on the problem?

If GDB modifies, or resumes, the inferior, it should always invalidate
its local cache (but no guarentee that it always gets it right :-).

Andrew

* Re: remote protocol question
@ 2004-07-15  3:53   ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2004-07-15  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb, Kumar Gala

Andrew,

We are thinking of connecting GDB to a simulator over a socket.  The
concern is that we stop GDB (via a breakpoint, control-C, etc.).  The
simulator is able to take input from a separate console window.  It
would be possible in that console window to then issue a set of
commands to change the state of the simulation (NIA, GPRs, etc).  The
question is if we can somehow ensure that when the user continues in
GDB that the, GDB will have the correction notion of state.

Hopefully, that is clear, but maybe not ;)

thanks

- kumar

@ 2004-07-15 14:21     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-07-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Gala; +Cc: gdb, Kumar Gala

> Andrew,
>
> We are thinking of connecting GDB to a simulator over a socket.  The concern is that we stop GDB (via a breakpoint, control-C, etc.).  The simulator is able to take input from a separate console window.  It would be possible in that console window to then issue a set of commands to change the state of the simulation (NIA, GPRs, etc).  The question is if we can somehow ensure that when the user continues in GDB that the, GDB will have the correction notion of state.
>
> Hopefully, that is clear, but maybe not ;)
>
> thanks

The remote protocol, which based on a simple master (GDB) / slave (STUB)
relationship, wasn't designed for this.  I think it would be better
solved with a properly asynchronous protocol.

Why not instead integrate the simulat and/or console into GDB?

Andrew