public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Dan Mosedale <dmose@meer.net>
To: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Building GDB with MinGW (3)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>As far as I can remember, GDB has not been ported to MingW. And indeed, porting readline is one of the problems to solve for that port. There is a group that has posted patches that allow you to build GDB on MingW, they have a web site. I don't know the URL but google should help you find it. Last I heard, they had ported GDB 5.3, but maybe they have patches for a more recent release now.
>>>

>>Actually, it has.   See <http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml>.
>>

>Maybe at some point someone will actually do it right and try to submit
>patches to gdb.

On the up side, the author says in his patch, "These changes have yet to
be submitted for review."  This would seem to imply that he intends for
them to land back in the mainline in the future.

>>One of the tarballs for the most recent snapshot version includes the
>>patch against the mainline.  It's from around May, so I suspect the
>>patch will require some massaging if you want it to work against
>>current CVS.  The best thing about the port is that, unlike the cygwin
>>port, hitting ^c to stop the inferior seems to actually work most of
>>the time (assuming you run the gdb in a cmd window and not a cygwin
>>window).  This is because it relies on windows native events rather
>>than cygwin signals.
>>

>CTRL-C works fine on cygwin.  I use it all of the time.
>
>In fact, CTRL-C does not rely on cygwin signals.  gdb doesn't know about
>cygwin signals from the inferior process.  I haven't looked at what
>mingw does but it is likely to be the same code.

You're right on all counts; sorry for the misinformation.  I looked into
this once many moons ago, and completely misremembered the details.

Dan