public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb 6.3 giving a "Child process unexpectedly missing" error
@ 2005-01-07 18:21 Mike Chrabaszcz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mike Chrabaszcz @ 2005-01-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am running Fedora Core3 and have recently updated.  And now, I can no longer gdb run on any program.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
MikeC.

gdb ./test

GNU gdb 6.3
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) r
Starting program: /test
warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes

Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
The program no longer exists.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb)

* Re: gdb 6.3 giving a "Child process unexpectedly missing" error
@ 2005-01-07 18:24 ` Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-01-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Chrabaszcz; +Cc: gdb

Mike Chrabaszcz wrote:

>I am running Fedora Core3 and have recently updated.  And now, I can no
>longer gdb run on any program.  Any suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>MikeC.

>gdb ./test
>
>GNU gdb 6.3
>Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
>are
>welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>conditions.
>Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
>details.
>This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
>library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
>
>(gdb) r
>Starting program: /test

Is that a typo?  Is it really trying to run /test instead of ./test?

Kris

* Re: gdb 6.3 giving a "Child process unexpectedly missing" error
@ 2005-01-07 18:42 ` Allen Hopkins
From: Allen Hopkins @ 2005-01-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Chrabaszcz; +Cc: gdb, Brad A Krebs

I can only say that I'm in the same boat, and also mystified.
The error is the same:
> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
> The program no longer exists.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.

Linux was just updated on my machine.  "uname -a" says this:
> Linux hig.eecs.berkeley.edu 2.6.9-1.11_FC2smp #1 SMP Sun Jan 2 16:19:13 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

-Allen Hopkins
UCBerkeley ERL

@ 2005-01-08  3:18 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2005-01-08  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Chrabaszcz; +Cc: gdb

There was a kernel glitch.  For details see the fedora lists.
http://fedora.redhat.com/

Andrew

* RE: gdb 6.3 giving a "Child process unexpectedly missing" error
@ 2005-01-07 18:31 Mike Chrabaszcz
From: Mike Chrabaszcz @ 2005-01-07 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: gdb

>gdb ./test
>
>GNU gdb 6.3
>Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
>are
>welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>conditions.
>Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
>details.
>This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
>library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
>
>(gdb) r
>Starting program: /test

Is that a typo?  Is it really trying to run /test instead of ./test?

Kris

typo, that line was not extacted from the terminal, the rest was.  Any ideas?