public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Possibly dumb signal mapping question
@ 2005-03-17 22:30 Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-03-17 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

Say I'm building a gdb on Linux that remotely targets Neutrino, what is
the acceptable way to map our OS signals onto TARGET_SIGNAL_*?  I'm
looking at the target_signal_[to/from]_host functions but they look like
they depend on the various SIG*s having been defined.  Wouldn't those
defines collide with host defines?  Perhaps I'm getting confused for no
good reason....  If I _were_ going to define them, what would be a good
place?

I accidentally dropped the signal mapping code from our old port but in
looking at it, it looks too hacky to live.  We've got some ugly
target_signal_[to/from]_qnx functions that we just use to convert any
signals sent to and from the remote target.  Is there a better way?

cheers,

Kris

* Re: Possibly dumb signal mapping question
@ 2005-03-17 22:33 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-03-17 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: GDB

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:14:16PM -0500, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> Say I'm building a gdb on Linux that remotely targets Neutrino, what is
> the acceptable way to map our OS signals onto TARGET_SIGNAL_*?  I'm
> looking at the target_signal_[to/from]_host functions but they look like
> they depend on the various SIG*s having been defined.  Wouldn't those
> defines collide with host defines?  Perhaps I'm getting confused for no
> good reason....  If I _were_ going to define them, what would be a good
> place?
>
> I accidentally dropped the signal mapping code from our old port but in
> looking at it, it looks too hacky to live.  We've got some ugly
> target_signal_[to/from]_qnx functions that we just use to convert any
> signals sent to and from the remote target.  Is there a better way?

Your stub should be doing this.  The TARGET_SIGNAL_* constants are the
on-the-wire values.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Possibly dumb signal mapping question
@ 2005-03-18 14:47   ` Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-03-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: GDB

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>Your stub should be doing this.  The TARGET_SIGNAL_* constants are the
>on-the-wire values.

Thanks Daniel.  I guess I've got to do it the hard way.  I had just
asked because I thought there might be some magic mapping routine like
for the i386 registers.

@ 2005-03-18 14:53     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-03-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: GDB

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:47:11AM -0500, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >Your stub should be doing this.  The TARGET_SIGNAL_* constants are the
> >on-the-wire values.
> >

> Thanks Daniel.  I guess I've got to do it the hard way.  I had just
> asked because I thought there might be some magic mapping routine like
> for the i386 registers.

No, there isn't - you could do it in your remote protocol target (don't you
use a different protocol?)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Possibly dumb signal mapping question
@ 2005-03-18 15:00       ` Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-03-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: GDB

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>No, there isn't - you could do it in your remote protocol target (don't
>you
>use a different protocol?)

Yeah.  I just created some mapping functions to apply whenever the
signal is sent or received on the wire.  It's in the remote part of our
port that I haven't submitted yet.  I'm waiting for some time where I
won't keep getting pre-empted.  It's annoying when I submit something to
you guys and then can't devote my full attention to following up.

cheers,

Kris