public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Stack unwinding on Windows  with gdb 6.x (was: gdb stack trace problems (Addendum))
@ 2005-05-18  8:08 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2005-05-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: gdb

Hi...

Christopher Faylor wrote on 17.05.2005 18:56:05:
[...]
 > I use gdb to debug on Windows on a daily basis and I don't find myself
 > hampered by gdb's inability to backtrace out of system functions.  It's
 > ability to do that has always been iffy.
Well we are working on highly multithreaded applications and with all
that native windows thread handling you always run into these problems
with gdb 6.x. Especially when your try to track down a crash it is terrible.
You won't get *any* useful stack trace.  Whereas it was possible
with 5.3.

 > So, as the windows maintainer, I have no immediate plans to try to
 > address this.  If it is bothering you, however, then I'll certainly
 > review any patches that you submit.
Thanks. I am definitely willing to do something on it but if I can get
some pointers on how stack tracing works in gdb 6.x compared
to 5.3 this would be extremely helpful.

As of the fact that I am at present extremly busy with other things
it can take until june until I can actively work on it, but when I have
some pointers where I can read on how it internally works in gdb
I already can make myself a bit more used to the internals of gdb.

Roland

* Re: Stack unwinding on Windows  with gdb 6.x (was: gdb stack trace problems (Addendum))
@ 2005-05-17 16:58 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-05-17 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Schwingel, gdb

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:38:54AM +0200, Roland Schwingel wrote:
>Hi...
>
>I don't like to reply to my own messages but I don't want to let this
>to be fallen asleep again.  In my eyes gdb 6.x is at present only of
>very limited use when debugging on windows mingw compiled executables
>because it cannot dump stack frames reliable.
>
>I know that the stack unwinder of gdb 6.x is of much better nature then
>the one of 5.3, but with 5.3 one could use gdb very good on windows to
>debug mingw code.
>
>So I think gdb 6.x should be able again to work on windows.  So what
>can be done to fix this?

I use gdb to debug on Windows on a daily basis and I don't find myself
hampered by gdb's inability to backtrace out of system functions.  It's
ability to do that has always been iffy.

So, as the windows maintainer, I have no immediate plans to try to
address this.  If it is bothering you, however, then I'll certainly
review any patches that you submit.

cgf

* Stack unwinding on Windows  with gdb 6.x (was: gdb stack trace problems (Addendum))
@ 2005-05-17  8:40 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2005-05-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi...

I don't like to reply to my own messages but I don't want to let this
to be fallen asleep again. In my eyes gdb 6.x is at present only of
very limited use when debugging on windows mingw compiled
executables because it cannot dump stack frames reliable.

I know that the stack unwinder of gdb 6.x is of much better
nature then the one of 5.3, but with 5.3 one could use gdb
very good on windows to debug mingw code.

So I think gdb 6.x should be able again to work on
windows. So what can be done to fix this?

Are there any pointers to find out how the current
stack unwinder works compared to the old one. Maybe
it would be possible to mix the 2 on windows.

Thanks,

Roland