public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: "E. Weddington" <ericw@evcohs.com>
To: shebs@apple.com
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Orphans to adopt?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

[Sorry for breaking any threading. Thunderbird stupidly doesn't allow me
to reply to posts in digests.]

> Subject:
> Orphans to adopt?
> From:
> Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 17 May 2005 12:02:15 -0700
> To:
> gdb@sourceware.org
>
> To:
> gdb@sourceware.org
>

> After a month of distraction, I'm back on the Darwin GDB case,
> and for regression testing purposes it would be convenient to set
> up a random embedded target with a simulator. To make the fiddling
> do double duty, it occurs to me that I could adopt a target that
> is being neglected, although a cursory scan suggests that all
> adoptable targets are taken now. Does anybody have suggestions for
> a target in need of a little tenderness and cuddling? (hmm, sounds
> creepy that way :-) )

Well, I don't know if this would work for your purposes, but the AVR
target could use some help. It's about as embedded as you can get.
Forgive me if I don't know the correct terminology. There are 2 external
simulators available for the AVR, both work with GDB and both are
incomplete. What is desperately needed is a simulator that is
"integrated" (?) with GDB (just like all the other, normal simulators)
and is robust enough to run the GCC test suite. This would have an
enormous impact on the ability of the AVR target in GCC to stay up to
date and to test new improvements in that port that are trying to get
online.

Eric
[ Please CC me in any replies.]