public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* are windriver violating GPL
@ 2006-03-02  9:27 D.J. Barrow
From: D.J. Barrow @ 2006-03-02  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, Till Straumann

Hi all,
They are using gdb in tornado & are charging upto
24000 sterling for floating annual licences but they haven't released the source code.

D.J. Barrow Linux kernel developer
eMail: dj_barrow@ariasoft.ie
Home: +353-22-47196.
Mobile (IRL) +353-(0)86 1715438

http://mail.yahoo.com

* RE: are windriver violating GPL
@ 2006-03-02 10:19 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-03-02 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj_barrow, gdb, 'Till Straumann'

On 02 March 2006 09:27, D.J. Barrow wrote:

> Hi all,
> They are using gdb in tornado & are charging upto
> 24000 sterling for floating annual licences but they haven't released the
> source code.

  When I used to work with vxworks a few years ago, all you had to do was ask
them and they'd send you the sources on a cd.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: are windriver violating GPL
@ 2006-03-02 10:46   ` D.J. Barrow
From: D.J. Barrow @ 2006-03-02 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn, gdb, 'Till Straumann'

Thanks Dave for your reply,
How many years ago used you work for windriver?
Was it in the vxWorks-6.1 era or before vxWorks-5.4?
They used release the sources to the old rdb debugging
protocol but gradually have been making their newer
WDB protocol more & more propriatory.
If we can get it could someone integrate it into the
mainstream gdb.

@ 2006-03-02 10:57   ` D.J. Barrow
From: D.J. Barrow @ 2006-03-02 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn, gdb

Hi Dave,
Any suggestion on who we should ask at windriver & how to ask them.

@ 2006-03-02 13:13     ` Steven Johnson
From: Steven Johnson @ 2006-03-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj_barrow; +Cc: Dave Korn, gdb

Hi,

I dont think this is the proper forum for discussing potential GPL
violations.  See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html it
clearly describes the actions you should take if you suspect a GPL
violation.

Ultimately if you still think there is a violation, report it to the
FSF, they hold the copyright for GDB, and are the ones who need to
enforce it (or not) at their discretion.

Steven Johnson

* Re: are windriver violating GPL
@ 2006-03-03  9:27 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2006-03-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj_barrow; +Cc: gdb, Till Straumann

D.J. Barrow wrote:
> Hi all,
> They are using gdb in tornado & are charging upto
> 24000 sterling for floating annual licences but they haven't released the source code.

Our experience is that they provide the sources to
customers, they are of course not required to provide
them to non-customers.