public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Debugging support multi-core/smp systems
@ 2007-09-20  5:58 Nitin Gupta
From: Nitin Gupta @ 2007-09-20  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

What debug capabilities does latest gdb have for multi-core/SMP systems?
Please let me know about both homogeneous and heterogeneous systems.

Regards,
Nitin

* Re: Debugging support multi-core/smp systems
@ 2007-09-20 15:30 ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2007-09-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nitin Gupta; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:00 -0700, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What debug capabilities does latest gdb have for multi-core/SMP systems?

SMP systems on linux should be no problem . Linux application debug
should be fine and seemless.

I am not aware of any support for multi-core debugging of bare metal
applications using gdb .

> Please let me know about both homogeneous and heterogeneous systems.

Heterogenous isn't available as is but its possible to build one if you
get the right data structures and the right set of commands. Look in the
archives for earlier discussions on this.

--
cheers
Ramana

Ramana Radhakrishnan
IDE & Tools Group
Celunite Inc (www.celunite.com)

* Re: Debugging support multi-core/smp systems
@ 2007-09-20 16:54 ` Markus Deuling
From: Markus Deuling @ 2007-09-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nitin Gupta; +Cc: gdb

Hi Nitin,

Nitin Gupta schrieb:
> What debug capabilities does latest gdb have for multi-core/SMP systems?
> Please let me know about both homogeneous and heterogeneous systems.

as Cell B./E. (e.g. Playstation 3) is a heterogeneous multi-core processor you may want to take
a look at the 'combined debugger' (ppu-gdb) found here: http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/

'spu-gdb' is the spu-only port of GDB to debug SPU applications. 'ppu-gdb' is capable of debugging applications
consisting of both PPU (PowerPC 970) and SPU parts (e.g. cross-architecture backtraces).

--
Markus Deuling
GNU Toolchain for Linux on Cell BE