public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Marty McGowan <mcgowan@alum.mit.edu>
To: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Building on Darwin
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 02:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

     i'm trying to use gdb on my iMac
--------------
appleton:MM110605 applemcg$ ls -l /usr/bin/*cc
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       7 Mar  4 12:49 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc-4.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  287680 Oct 24  2010 /usr/bin/distcc
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       7 Mar  4 12:49 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.2
--------------
   System Version:    Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
   Kernel Version:    Darwin 10.7.0
   Boot Volume:    hd
   Boot Mode:    Normal
   Computer Name:    appleton
   User Name:    Marty (applemcg)
   Secure Virtual Memory:    Not Enabled
   64-bit Kernel and Extensions:    No
   Time since boot:    14 days 5:50
--------------
    i've used it successfully ( a prior version ) in the past on a ~ 32K
size C program and saw today for the first time the error message
reported in the "Building GDB on Darwin "

    i followed the steps in "Creating a certificate",  ran the codesign
command, and was treated with the same message:

Reading symbols from /Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/cummings...
warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file
/Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/compiler.o

warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file
/Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/dictionary.o

warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file
/Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/options.o

warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file
/Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/parserobj.o

warning: can't find section '__DATA.__common' in OSO file
/Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/word.o
done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /Volumes/MM110605/src/eec/cummings
Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 95355: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
  (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
(gdb)

     I included the "cant find section ... " messages as I don't recall
seeing them in times past, and to offer any kind of clue.

     I did have to go to the trouble of resetting my login keys in the
OS X, as i really have little idea of what's happening.  i do get the
RSA, public key algorithm, but frankly what a certificate represents and
who is giving whom what and why escapes my ken.

    in the btw department; i tried this repeatedly.   in the first
instance, i created a 2K Certificates.p12 file (before resetting the
password, but i was successfully able to import into the System keychain
as recommended.  that failed as well.   then repeating the experiment,
but this time with (continue)^ nth, i received "unknown error" when the
certificate was being created.  in this pass i offered no identity to
the certificate assistant.   repeating a 4th or fifth time, but
supplying identity, i was able to export a *.pem file, which is just the
ascii email attachment.  needless to say it was not effective.

    is there a cookbook for this procedure?   do i need to rebuild gcc?

-=*-+ Marty McGowan http://martymcgowan.tiddlyspace.com