public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb on automatic pilot?
@ 2011-08-25  0:17 Aurelian Melinte
From: Aurelian Melinte @ 2011-08-25  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

I am looking to use gdb to print the stack each time a certain function
is called , then resume execution. And this without manual intervention.

Could anyone please advise if feasible and if yes, how?  Any other tool
I can use?

Thanks,
a.

* Re: gdb on automatic pilot?
@ 2011-08-25  0:27 ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2011-08-25  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelian Melinte; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 02:16:55 +0200, Aurelian Melinte wrote:
> I am looking to use gdb to print the stack each time a certain
> function is called , then resume execution. And this without manual
> intervention.

(gdb) break malloc
Breakpoint 1 at 0x483940
(gdb) commands
Type commands for breakpoint(s) 1, one per line.
End with a line saying just "end".
>backtrace
>continue
>end
(gdb) set pagination off
(gdb) run

See also:
$ info '(gdb)Break Commands'

Regards,
Jan

* Re: gdb on automatic pilot?
@ 2011-08-25  0:42 ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2011-08-25  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelian Melinte; +Cc: gdb

Aurelian Melinte <ame01@gmx.net> writes:

> I am looking to use gdb to print the stack each time a certain
> function is called , then resume execution. And this without manual
> intervention.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understood your question.  Will you be already
runnning GDB?  If so, you can put a breakpoint at the function and use
`commands' to specify what you want to do when the breakpoint is hit.
Something like:

(gdb) break f
(gdb) commands
> bt
> cont
> end
(gdb) run

Is that what you want?

* Re: gdb on automatic pilot?
@ 2011-08-25  1:13   ` Aurelian Melinte
From: Aurelian Melinte @ 2011-08-25  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On 24/08/2011 8:41 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> Aurelian Melinte<ame01@gmx.net>  writes:
>
>> I am looking to use gdb to print the stack each time a certain
>> function is called , then resume execution. And this without manual
>> intervention.
> Sorry, I'm not sure I understood your question.  Will you be already
> runnning GDB?  If so, you can put a breakpoint at the function and use
> `commands' to specify what you want to do when the breakpoint is hit.
> Something like:
>
> (gdb) break f
> (gdb) commands
>> bt