public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Extract debug symbols to external file
@ 2008-01-16 12:08 Fabio Dell'Aria
From: Fabio Dell'Aria @ 2008-01-16 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

how I can extract the debug symbols (extract not only copy) from the
Project.exe file to the Project.dbg file?

Exists any simple command (or also complex)? ;)

--
Best regards...

Fabio Dell'Aria.

* Re: Extract debug symbols to external file
@ 2008-01-16 12:22 ` Markus Deuling
From: Markus Deuling @ 2008-01-16 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabio Dell'Aria schrieb:
> Hi to all,
>
> how I can extract the debug symbols (extract not only copy) from the
> Project.exe file to the Project.dbg file?
>
> Exists any simple command (or also complex)? ;)

If you use Linux you could take the strip command. But I guess you don't :-) So maybe google
for a windows-based alternative to strip.

--
  Markus Deuling
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on Cell BE

* Re: Extract debug symbols to external file
@ 2008-01-16 13:44   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2008-01-16 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:20:26PM +0100, Markus Deuling wrote:
> Fabio Dell'Aria schrieb:
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> how I can extract the debug symbols (extract not only copy) from the
>> Project.exe file to the Project.dbg file?
>>
>> Exists any simple command (or also complex)? ;)
>>

> If you use Linux you could take the strip command. But I guess you don't :-) So maybe google
> for a windows-based alternative to strip.

GNU Binutils works fine on Windows.  Fabio, take a look at
--only-keep-debug and --add-gnu-debuglink.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: Extract debug symbols to external file
@ 2008-01-16 13:45   ` Fabio Dell'Aria
From: Fabio Dell'Aria @ 2008-01-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Markus,

2008/1/16, Markus Deuling <deuling@de.ibm.com>:
> Fabio Dell'Aria schrieb:
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > how I can extract the debug symbols (extract not only copy) from the
> > Project.exe file to the Project.dbg file?
> >
> > Exists any simple command (or also complex)? ;)
> >

> If you use Linux you could take the strip command. But I guess you don't :-) So maybe google
> for a windows-based alternative to strip.

I just have the "strip" command (also under Win). :)

How I can use it to extract the debug symbols from the project.exe to
project.dbg ?

--

@ 2008-01-16 15:02     ` Fabio Dell'Aria
From: Fabio Dell'Aria @ 2008-01-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/1/16, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:20:26PM +0100, Markus Deuling wrote:
> > Fabio Dell'Aria schrieb:
> >> Hi to all,
> >>
> >> how I can extract the debug symbols (extract not only copy) from the
> >> Project.exe file to the Project.dbg file?
> >>
> >> Exists any simple command (or also complex)? ;)
> >>

> > If you use Linux you could take the strip command. But I guess you don't :-) So maybe google
> > for a windows-based alternative to strip.
>
> GNU Binutils works fine on Windows.  Fabio, take a look at
> --only-keep-debug and --add-gnu-debuglink.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery

Thanks Daniel, works like a charm! :)