public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* --with-gmp and --with-libgmp-prefix
@ 2022-03-11  9:47 Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2022-03-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, Joel Brobecker

Hi Joel,

I was talking to a colleague and we noticed the top-level binutils-gdb
configure accepts --with-gmp, which looks like what gcc's configure uses
to specify the gmp library installation path.

But gdb's configure expects that information to be passed through the
--with-libgmp-prefix switch. Was that a deliberate choice (I'm looking
at commit 2c947d9bc2ff3b84f1676b83577fe1bba05b4a5f).

When one is used to building gcc, it is a little odd to have to specify
--with-libgmp-prefix instead of --with-gmp.

The top-level configure lists this:

   --with-gmp=PATH         specify prefix directory for the installed GMP
                           package. Equivalent to
                           --with-gmp-include=PATH/include plus
                           --with-gmp-lib=PATH/lib

And gdb's configure lists this:

   --with-libgmp-prefix[=DIR]  search for libgmp in DIR/include and DIR/lib

I'm wondering if we can reuse the top-level configure's --with-gmp option.

* Re: --with-gmp and --with-libgmp-prefix
@ 2022-03-11 10:06 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2022-03-11 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Machado; +Cc: gdb, Joel Brobecker

> I was talking to a colleague and we noticed the top-level binutils-gdb
> configure accepts --with-gmp, which looks like what gcc's configure uses to
> specify the gmp library installation path.
>
> But gdb's configure expects that information to be passed through the
> --with-libgmp-prefix switch. Was that a deliberate choice (I'm looking at
> commit 2c947d9bc2ff3b84f1676b83577fe1bba05b4a5f).
>
> When one is used to building gcc, it is a little odd to have to specify
> --with-libgmp-prefix instead of --with-gmp.
>
> The top-level configure lists this:
>
>   --with-gmp=PATH         specify prefix directory for the installed GMP
>                           package. Equivalent to
>                           --with-gmp-include=PATH/include plus
>                           --with-gmp-lib=PATH/lib
>
> And gdb's configure lists this:
>
>   --with-libgmp-prefix[=DIR]  search for libgmp in DIR/include and DIR/lib
>
> I'm wondering if we can reuse the top-level configure's --with-gmp option.

Deja vu ;-)

The problem is that GDB has some shared configury that follows
a certain style, which is not the style that is used by the toplevel
configury. This triggered a number of discussions, but in the end
we found no good solution, unfortunately.

--
Joel

* Re: --with-gmp and --with-libgmp-prefix
@ 2022-03-11 10:08   ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2022-03-11 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

On 3/11/22 10:06, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> I was talking to a colleague and we noticed the top-level binutils-gdb
>> configure accepts --with-gmp, which looks like what gcc's configure uses to
>> specify the gmp library installation path.
>>
>> But gdb's configure expects that information to be passed through the
>> --with-libgmp-prefix switch. Was that a deliberate choice (I'm looking at
>> commit 2c947d9bc2ff3b84f1676b83577fe1bba05b4a5f).
>>
>> When one is used to building gcc, it is a little odd to have to specify
>> --with-libgmp-prefix instead of --with-gmp.
>>
>> The top-level configure lists this:
>>
>>    --with-gmp=PATH         specify prefix directory for the installed GMP
>>                            package. Equivalent to
>>                            --with-gmp-include=PATH/include plus
>>                            --with-gmp-lib=PATH/lib
>>
>> And gdb's configure lists this:
>>
>>    --with-libgmp-prefix[=DIR]  search for libgmp in DIR/include and DIR/lib
>>
>> I'm wondering if we can reuse the top-level configure's --with-gmp option.
>
> Deja vu ;-)

Hah.

> The problem is that GDB has some shared configury that follows
> a certain style, which is not the style that is used by the toplevel
> configury. This triggered a number of discussions, but in the end
> we found no good solution, unfortunately.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I was imagining GDB's independent configure
would have something to do with it. Thanks for clarifying that. And
sorry for bringing this back again. :-)

* Re: --with-gmp and --with-libgmp-prefix
@ 2022-03-15 10:37   ` Simon Sobisch
From: Simon Sobisch @ 2022-03-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brobecker, luis.machado; +Cc: gdb

On 3/11/22 10:06, Joel Brobecker wrote:
 >> I was talking to a colleague and we noticed the top-level binutils-
 >> gdbconfigure accepts --with-gmp, which looks like what gcc's
 >> configure uses to specify the gmp library installation path.
 >>
 >> But gdb's configure expects that information to be passed through the
 >> --with-libgmp-prefix switch. [...]
 >>
 >> When one is used to building gcc, it is a little odd to have to specify
 >> --with-libgmp-prefix instead of --with-gmp.
 >>
 >> The top-level configure lists this:
 >>
 >>   --with-gmp=PATH      specify prefix directory for the installed GMP
 >>                        package. Equivalent to
 >>                        --with-gmp-include=PATH/include plus
 >>                        --with-gmp-lib=PATH/lib
 >>
 >> And gdb's configure lists this:
 >>
 >>    --with-libgmp-prefix[=DIR]  search for libgmp in DIR/include and
 >>        DIR/lib
 >>
 >> I'm wondering if we can reuse the top-level configure's --with-gmp
option.
 > The problem is that GDB has some shared configury that follows
 > a certain style, which is not the style that is used by the toplevel
 > configury. This triggered a number of discussions, but in the end
 > we found no good solution, unfortunately.

Hm, maybe in this case one can opt for the binutils style with keeping
the GDB one "for compat"?
In theory this would add one additional "feature" - the possibility to
specify the header and library path independently.

In this case the help for -with-libgmp-prefix could just say something
like "alias for --with-gmp".

Just saying...

Simon