public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Core dump processing for  vxWorks
@ 2001-04-23 14:10 Sumit Garg
From: Sumit Garg @ 2001-04-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi,

I am aware that GDB provides support for core file processing. However, I am
unable to find a method to generate a core file
for  a vxWorks/i960 platform. I looked up in the tWdbAgent task, for
providing an API to store/dume the core file, but was unsuccessful.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sumit

* Re: Core dump processing for  vxWorks
@ 2001-04-26 14:58 ` J.T. Conklin
From: J.T. Conklin @ 2001-04-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumit Garg; +Cc: 'gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Sumit> I am aware that GDB provides support for core file
Sumit> processing. However, I am unable to find a method to generate a
Sumit> core file for a vxWorks/i960 platform. I looked up in the
Sumit> tWdbAgent task, for providing an API to store/dume the core
Sumit> file, but was unsuccessful.

Doesn't getting a core dump via WDB imply the system is still alive?
If it's alive, you don't need a core dump because you could simply
connect to the target with the debugger.

So you need to do something else.  For example, your crash handler
could jump to some standalone code, preferably in ROM, to perform the
dump.  You'll have to reserve a region of memory free for the code to
use (otherwise the crash dump routine might be clobbering the very
memory contents you need to find the bug).  And since the state of
the hardware may be in doubt, the crashdump code should carefully
re-initialize enough hardware so it can write a dump.

You might be able to get by with more, by having your crash dump code
as part of your program.  But I think it's better to assume as little
as possible after a system crash.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin