public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Pedro Alves <pedro@palves.net>
To: "Denio, Mike" <miked@ti.com>, "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Issue with multiple threads using remote protocol on riscv32
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:52:06 +0000	[thread overview]

On 2022-03-16 15:10, Denio, Mike wrote:
> Ok, thanks. I'll have to think about how I'm going to implement that.
>
> Is it safe to assume that this only affects the initial event, and that once I see the first  'vStopped', GDB will not interlace more 'vCont' commands?
>
> For example, say I had 8 newly stopped threads such that GDB will end up calling 'vStopped' 8 times. Is it safe to assume that GDB will not send any new vCont in the middle of sending those 8 vStopped?

Currently, when GDB issues a vStopped, it keeps issuing it until the remote side returns OK, indicating no more pending events.
But I wouldn't trust that that won't ever change.  Imagine at some point we come to the conclusion that it would be better to
batch fetching pending events, so that GDB went on to process the pending events once it fetches some N events out of vStopped,
maybe go on to process events out of some other remote connection / target, and then goes back to fetching another batch
of N events out of the first remote connection, and so forth.