public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Nicholas Ford <nicholas.ford@t-online.de>
To: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: GDB Debugging multiple instances of the same application and continue simultaneous
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:08:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

I try to debug two instances of the same application and try to make
them continue simultaneous. I used the following sequence of commands:

(gdb) set target-async on
(gdb) set non-stop on
(gdb) attach <pid1>
(gdb) set scheduler-locking off
(gdb) add-inferior
(gdb) inferior 2
(gdb) attach <pid2>
(gdb) set scheduler-locking off
(gdb) b hello-world.cpp:8
Breakpoint 1 at 0x557a557761fd: ../hello-world.cpp:8. (2 locations)
(gdb) continue

But only the process of the current inferior is continuing. I tried it
with the following configurations:

  * Setting 1
      o OS: Windows 10 Version 2004
      o GDB: GNU gdb (GDB) 12.0.50.20220115-git
      o Behavior: not even possible to switch back to inferior 1: Is it
        a known issue that this is not working on Windows?
  * Setting 2
      o OS: Windows 10 Version 2004 using WSL (Ubuntu)
      o GDB: GNU gdb (Ubuntu 9.2-0ubuntu1~20.04.1) 9.2
      o Behavior: Only the currently selected inferior is continuing
  * Setting 3
      o OS: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
      o GDB: GNU gdb (Ubuntu 9.2-0ubuntu1~20.04) 9.2
      o Behavior: Only the currently selected inferior is continuing

Can you please guide me if I got it wrong (regarding the feature of
running multiple processes simultaneous in GDB) or this specific feature
is not available for the given OS versions (if yes which version should
work)?

Best regards,
Nicholas Ford