public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Simon Sobisch <simonsobisch@gnu.org>
To: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: gdbtk ...completely broken?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:09:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 27.07.2022 um 16:14 schrieb Keith Seitz:
> On 7/26/22 01:07, Simon Sobisch via Gdb wrote:
>> After checking gdb --help I've wondered about the following:
>>
>>    -w                 Use the GUI interface.
>>    --nw               Do not use the GUI interface.
>>
>> it took a while to find out that `-w` only applies if GDB is
>> configured with the GUI option and much more that this relates to
>> --enable-gdbtk.
>
> "gdbtk" refers to Insight, which is now located in a different GIT
> repository.

Ah - I'd say there was a near zero chance to even guess that.

Could you please try to add notes about this in gdb's configure.ac (a
note on --enable-gdbtk about both the project Insight and about "only
for using GDB as Insight submodule" - would help a lot) and possibly on
GDBs mode options docs (something along "-w  start GDB in GUI mode
(Insight)") and help output, too?

>> Where are the necessary source files?
>
> Clone sourceware.org/git/insight.git and follow the README. It uses
> submodules
> to pull in binutils-gdb.

How to get the files without git (newest insight + GDB [12.1] I've
already on the harddisk)? Is the build info [1] still up-to-date that I
need to build it with a specific tcl/tk version?

https://sourceware.org/insight/downloads.php seems to be quite outdated,
too (ftp links don't work here, instead of git web frontend it points to
cvs)

>> Should gdb's configure assume they exist or test for them (and again:
>> error on --enable-gdbtk)?
>
> That's probably something that needs better documentation and perhaps
> the error.

Thanks, just checking for the necessary source files (before even
checking tcl/tk), then abort looks most reasonable to me.

I guess this is all rooted in the mentioned TODO 2

 > Get Insight integrated and accepted into the GDB mainline.

Question on that: Is it likely that this will happen someday?

> I'll put it on my TODO list.
>
> Keith

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!
Simon

[1]: https://sourceware.org/insight/faq.php#q-2.1