public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* info address "range"
@ 2012-02-28  3:56 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-28  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Re this:

  (gdb) frame 2
  #2  0x0100ffda in compact_small_strings () at alloc.c:2271
  2271                abort ();
  (gdb) info address from
  Symbol "from" is multi-location:
    Range 0x100f452-0x100f45c: a variable in $esi

What exactly the "range xxxx-yyyy" mean?  There's nothing in the
manual about this format.  Is that the range of PC values?  If so,
then since the current frame address is not within those limits, it
seems, and therefore the information is not helpful.

Is there any way of knowing where will the variable be found for the
current PC value?

TIA

* Re: info address "range"
@ 2012-02-28 20:01 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2012-02-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> Re this:
>
>  (gdb) frame 2
>  #2  0x0100ffda in compact_small_strings () at alloc.c:2271
>  2271                abort ();
>  (gdb) info address from
>  Symbol "from" is multi-location:
>    Range 0x100f452-0x100f45c: a variable in $esi
>
> What exactly the "range xxxx-yyyy" mean?  There's nothing in the
> manual about this format.  Is that the range of PC values?  If so,
> then since the current frame address is not within those limits, it
> seems, and therefore the information is not helpful.
>
> Is there any way of knowing where will the variable be found for the
> current PC value?

Most likely this means that if the current pc is outside of those
limits, the variable is not available anywhere.

Daniel

* Re: info address "range"
@ 2012-02-28 20:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-28 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:01:37 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <daniel.jacobowitz@gmail.com>
> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Re this:
> >
> >  (gdb) frame 2
> >  #2  0x0100ffda in compact_small_strings () at alloc.c:2271
> >  2271                abort ();
> >  (gdb) info address from
> >  Symbol "from" is multi-location:
> >    Range 0x100f452-0x100f45c: a variable in $esi
> >
> > What exactly the "range xxxx-yyyy" mean?  There's nothing in the
> > manual about this format.  Is that the range of PC values?  If so,
> > then since the current frame address is not within those limits, it
> > seems, and therefore the information is not helpful.
> >
> > Is there any way of knowing where will the variable be found for the
> > current PC value?
>
> Most likely this means that if the current pc is outside of those
> limits, the variable is not available anywhere.

Thanks.  I will at least describe this output in the manual.