public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Where to find online documentation on earlier version of GDB
       [not found] <SNT002-W150908DDD3A3F0C1221A20BC0320@phx.gbl>
@ 2012-12-17 13:53 ` D M
From: D M @ 2012-12-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
Where to find online documentation on earlier version of GDB? The online documentation located at http://sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/ is for current version only.
I am specifically looking for the online document "Debugging with gdb" for GDB version 7.3.1. The online document currently available at http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/ is not preferable, since it is for later GDB version 7.5.50.20121217.
At my workplace, we are using GDB 7.3.1, and hence this need.

Thanks.

* Re: Where to find online documentation on earlier version of GDB
@ 2012-12-17 15:01   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2012-12-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D M; +Cc: gdb

> I am specifically looking for the online document "Debugging with gdb"
> for GDB version 7.3.1. The online document currently available at
> http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/ is not preferable,
> since it is for later GDB version 7.5.50.20121217.

The GDB website could do better, but we do not have much resources
to manage it. So we only provide online access to the documentation
for the latest release as well as current sources.

For your need, my recommendation would be to download the sources,
and build the documentation yourself (which, unfortunately, seems
to also require you to build GDB).

--
Joel

* Re: Where to find online documentation on earlier version of GDB
@ 2012-12-17 15:52     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: rpstax, gdb

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:00:45 +0400
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> Cc: "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
>
> For your need, my recommendation would be to download the sources,
> and build the documentation yourself

Right.

> which, unfortunately, seems to also require you to build GDB

I don't think it does.  I'm using the following for ages (in the
gdb/doc subdirectory) to build the CVS docs without building anything
else:

  make -f Makefile.in info MAKEINFO_CMD="makeinfo --split-size=5000000 \
   -DHAVE_MAKEINFO_CLICK" READLINE_TEXI_INCFLAG=-I../../readline/doc \
   GDBMI_DIR=../mi srcdir=. \
   BUGURL_TEXI="@uref{http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/}" \
   PKGVERSION=(GDB)

The details for 7.3.1 will probably need to be different, but you get
the idea.