public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Renaming .c files to .cc?
@ 2019-12-10 22:19 Christian Biesinger via gdb
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christian Biesinger via gdb @ 2019-12-10 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, Pedro Alves

Hello all,

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on renaming the .c files to
.cc, since they are in fact C++ code? (Only for files under gdb/)

Advantages:
- Easier for newcomers to see that the code is, in fact, C++
- Editors will syntax highlight C++ keywords w/o having to be told
that these files are C++

On IRC it was mentioned that git may have issues with renames like
that but I have found that "git log --follow" and such are doing a
good job with that, at least as long as the same commit doesn't change
the file too much while it is renamed, which I wouldn't expect to be a
problem here.

Thoughts?
Christian