public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann <thiago.bauermann@linaro.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: Guinevere Larsen <blarsen@redhat.com>,
	 pinskia@gmail.com, gdb@sourceware.org,  binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: DCO: Was: Re: Contributing to gdb
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 14:48:00 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 16:48:13 -0300
>> Cc: pinskia@gmail.com, gdb@sourceware.org, binutils@sourceware.org
>> From: Guinevere Larsen <blarsen@redhat.com>
>>
> This must be some grave misunderstanding.  The discussion to which I
> pointed was a very long one, took more than a month, and expecting me
> (or someone else) to summarize it is unreasonable, even if you ignore
> the possibility that a summary might omit aspects that are important
> for you, let alone the time required to produce such a summary.  The
> gnu-prog-discuss list had a very small number of threads in June 2021,
> so I thought finding the right one would be a no-brainer.  But since
> it sounds like I was mistaken, I apologize; here's the link to the
> beginning of that thread:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/private/gnu-prog-discuss/2021q2/016757.html
>
> The subject of the thread is, unsurprisingly, "Copyright assignments".
> It also points to related discussions on GCC, glibc, and Gnulib lists.
>
> The reason I think a serious discussion of this should start by
> reading that one is that it doesn't sound a good investment of
> everyone's time to re-iterate all the arguments which were already
> brought forward there and discussed from every possible aspect.  I
> apologize for not making myself clear earlier, and hope I made myself
> more clear now: there was no intent to be unhelpful, just an attempt
> to be efficient by pointing to a very extensive discussion of this and
> related topics.

I'm interested in reading that thread and in the discussion of whether
GDB should accept contributions under the DCO. I don't have a personal
need for it, but my opinion is that it would be beneficial to the GDB
project.

Unfortunately I can't access that mailing list archive: it requires a
password. My understanding is that gnu-prog-discuss is only accessible
to GNU project maintainers.

Would it be possible to copy that mailing list thread to a publicly
accessible location?
--
Thiago