public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Simon Marchi <simon.marchi@polymtl.ca>
To: Mahesh Bodapati <maheshbodapati212@gmail.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: native gdb
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:15:02 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2022-04-19 02:31, Mahesh Bodapati wrote:
> Thanks Simon,
>>I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I assume you want to
>>cross-compile GDB on an x86-64 build machine, so that GDB runs and
>>debugs natively on a Microblaze Linux system.
>
> build != host == target (“cross-native”)
>
> native toolchain, as it targets the same machine as it runs on. But it is build on another machine.
>

>>GDB already supports Microblaze, see files gdb/microblaze* in the tree.
>>However, we didn't have contributions that touched those files for a
>>while, so it's possible these have bitrotted a little bit.
>
> I didn't see any issues while I compile cross-compile gdb which runs on x86 and I assume 'microblaze-linux-nat.c' has to be ported/added as similar to other target to make it run on a target natively and also files to be ported for MicroBlaze at " gdb/nat/"

Ah, you're right, the existing files are only -tdep files, so there's no
native debugging support for Microblaze.

So, yeah, you would need to add a microblaze-linux-nat.c, edit
configure.nat to add an entry for Microblaze/Linux.
microblaze-linux-nat.c would contain a class definition like

class microblaze_linux_nat_target final : public linux_nat_target
{

and a static instance like:

static microblaze_linux_nat_target the_microblaze_linux_nat_target;

Then, I would suggest looking at another "simple" architecture, like
riscv-linux-nat.c, for inspiration.  That architecture only defines some
fetch_registers and store_registers methods, plus read_description.
That's probably about the minimal things you need to get something
working.

Simon